walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Markan

Markan

Postby litljortindan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Date walked: 09/06/2001

Time taken: 4

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 550m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the last hill-walk of my ten day trip to Lofoten in 2001. I'd climbed Litljortindan the day before and after that had spent some time at Selfjordhytta resting and eating. In the evening I decided to set off walking again as the weather was fine and I was running out of time for more walking. Also, I was hoping to get some midnight sun.

View of Brasrastinden.

View over Fageravatnet to Brasrastindan (left) and Ulvstinden (right).

A steady plod on a good path brought me up to the 400m bealach with good views of Krakhammartinden.

And a view over Solbjornvatnet and Klokktinden.

Klokktinden and Seiltinden.

Krakkhammartinden again.

As I climbed west towards the top of Markan there was very fine light northeast over Fageravatnet and the Selfjorden hills.

And over Branntuva and Brasrastindan to the north.

Seiltinden or Segltinden makes an appearance to the left (south).

Another blaze of sunset/sunrise colour on Breiflogtinden (I think).

Kamman and Smeden,

Branntuva and Brasrastindan to the north again -would've liked to explore this ridge more but I didn't think this would be sensible timing wise so turned back for the beginning of the long journey home.

Fine light again east over the Selfjorden hills.

litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Markan

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:25 pm

"Stunning" is a much-overused word; but that's truly what these images are: they really do take one's breath away.

And nice to understand now where your handle came from... :D I'd always assumed it was just a mash of John and Little...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:236
Wainwrights:100   

Postby litljortindan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Alteknacker wrote:"Stunning" is a much-overused word; but that's truly what these images are: they really do take one's breath away.

And nice to understand now where your handle came from... :D I'd always assumed it was just a mash of John and Little...

Cheers! It is a wonderful landscape. I don't have a whole view of Litljortindan (actually Litljortinden on some maps) in this report but there's a partial view of the pointy ridge behind Ulvstinden.

So it seems google photos is working properly again so hopefully half of my photo hosting problem solved.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby jacob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:21 am

Until this report I already quickly read your name as Litl jon ...etc, thinking your name is Jon and you're not too tall a man, haha.
Anyway, truly water in mouth photos. :clap:
jacob

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:4   
Hewitts:16

Postby litljortindan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:23 pm

jacob wrote:Until this report I already quickly read your name as Litl jon ...etc, thinking your name is Jon and you're not too tall a man, haha.
Anyway, truly water in mouth photos. :clap:

Cheers jacob. It is a good trip to look back on. Not one I could repeat now really (by which I mean the whole ten days) but hopefully I will make it back to the area for some shorter visits to climb one or two more of the easier hills.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland