walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White out on Red Screes

White out on Red Screes

Postby icemandan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:38 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Red Screes

Hewitts included on this walk: Red Screes

Date walked: 03/12/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 10.7 km

Ascent: 758m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not the best of days for the annual Lake District walk with some ex colleagues. The temperature was -6 as we drove to the pre-walk breakfast at the Ings Little Chef. The forecast promised snow and gales. Nonetheless, it was decided to proceed with the day's objective of Red Screes. Thus it was that nine middle aged men set forth up the slithery Struggle road.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

in grey, icy conditions. The sky had an ominous yellow tinge. Heading up the old oxgang up to the open fellside, the mist descended, snow started to fall, and the long powdery flounder up to the summit began. Happily, the promised high winds didn't arise as we plodded gradually up the ridge across the tussocks and around knotts of black rocks which loomed out of the white towards us. Once again we were grateful to satmap as we headed upwards into white nothing. The cold wind sharpened as we reached the plateau. Eventually the ice blasted trig point emerged. A quick photo and it was time to retreat.
fools on the hill.jpg

The plan had been to descend to Scandale Pass and walk back down Scandale out of the weather. However the blanket of snow which covered the south ridge and summit gave way to steepening streaks of rippled grey ice. Change of plan, contour round back to the south ridge. The joys of satmap. We followed a curving course which got us back to the south ridge with no reascent. The scepticism of the non-GPS users disappeared as our random wanderings led us straight back to our footprints.

A hurried and cheerless lunch was snatched cowering behind a wall on Snarker Pike
Bon Appetit.jpg
, wierdly sounds of sirens drifted up from below.

Descending, we came upon something else that was daft enough to be out in this weather.
Who are you calling stupid.jpg

Awful drive back home. Snow all over the road. Huge queue through Windermere. One of those days when drivers wait at the top of Banner Rigg like penguins waiting to dive towards the leopard seals. Top tip - the Lyth Valley road through Winster.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: White out on Red Screes

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:25 pm

In the bleak mid-winter,as they say, nice to see the conditions in your pics :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Glenrothes » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Dan,

hope I'm not spoiling your thread but just got back to an impromptu trip to Red Screes

This is what you missed = sorry!!

And to the lady I met on my descent, hope you got your bus back to Bowness and great to chat with you........ :wink:
Attachments
PC050021.JPG
Red Screes summit plateau
PC050015.JPG
Trig and Helvellyn zoomed
PC050014.JPG
Red Screes trig point towards the Helvellyn Range
PC050011.JPG
Nearing the summit............
PC050008.JPG
Red Screes from the Kirkstone Pass
Glenrothes

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:50 pm

What a difference a day or two makes !
fedupofuserids

Postby icemandan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Glenrothes - you certainly got a better day than we did. Brilliant weather today although all we did with it was a wander around Grasmere. Did you see someone trying to paraglide off Heron Pike?
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Postby Glenrothes » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi Dan, no sorry didn't see that but they certainly had a great day for it!!

I was walking for just before 8am and was off the fell and home in Blackpool for just after 3pm. It was a strange day as I took a wrong turn coming out of Ambleside and ended up walking along the east side of Stock Ghyll and so took the Screes direct up Kilnshaw Chimney from the Kirkstone Pass hotel side....

It was certainly warming up as the day progressed 8)
Glenrothes

Postby mountain coward » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:23 am

What year did you do this again? The Little Chef must have been gone for at least 10 years now! I used to love calling in there after a walk :(
mountain coward

Postby Glenrothes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:14 am

mountain coward wrote:What year did you do this again? The Little Chef must have been gone for at least 10 years now! I used to love calling in there after a walk :(

Are you sure?? As I drove past last Sunday (I didn't use it) it was still there or at least something that purported to be a Little Chef was :?

That or it's signed up very similar!!!!
Glenrothes

Postby over2u » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:54 am

such a massive difference between a day or two! :)

excellent views in Glenrothes's post.

however it can be so much more rewarding and a great sense of acheivement making it to the top in bad conditions... I wouldn't be too put off by the weather :)
over2u
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby fedupofuserids » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Glenrothes wrote:
mountain coward wrote:What year did you do this again? The Little Chef must have been gone for at least 10 years now! I used to love calling in there after a walk :(

Are you sure?? As I drove past last Sunday (I didn't use it) it was still there or at least something that purported to be a Little Chef was :?

That or it's signed up very similar!!!!

Was when I last drove past, http://www.littlechef.co.uk/findalittlechef/restaurant/id/248.

More importantly does the speed camera outside actually work or is it a fake ?
fedupofuserids

Postby Glenrothes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:20 pm

fedupofuserids wrote:More importantly does the speed camera outside actually work or is it a fake ?

Agreed and yes, the speed camera at least flashes, or it did a month ago......... :angel:

Don't you know that Cumbria have a very unhealthy pre-occupation with speeding drivers :twisted:
Glenrothes

Postby fedupofuserids » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:40 pm

Glenrothes wrote:Don't you know that Cumbria have a very unhealthy pre-occupation with speeding drivers :twisted:

My wallet certainly knows !

The speed nag/controller (wife) that usually sits in the passenger seat has tamed my driving somewhat.

I must admit the first thing you usually see on the northbound M6 after the 'Cumbria' sign is a speed camera van posing as a road safety van.
fedupofuserids

Postby Glenrothes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:29 pm

fedupofuserids wrote:I must admit the first thing you usually see on the northbound M6 after the 'Cumbria' sign is a speed camera van posing as a road safety van.

Ditto for drivers on the southbound at Capplerigg - I have personal knowledge - OUCH :sick:
Glenrothes

Postby icemandan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Little Chef at Ings has risen from the grave after its various incarnations as the Zest Cafe and an American Diner. Bear in mind that you're talking to an expert on fried breakfasts!. As it happened, the blubber came in handy later in the day for insulation.

The speed camera at Ings went in after a bad crash a few years ago involving a minibus and some daft overtaking.

Incidentally the Watermill at Ings is an excellent pub.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:45 am

Wow! I stopped looking after it became Zest Cafe - didn't realise my old fave was back! They're doing a superb veggie meal just now of mushroom and pepper suet pud - superb! And I love their pancakes, although they've shrunk over the years. I'm really glad they're back!

And yes, that speed camera definitely does work - ask my poor mother. She didn't see the new 40 zone or the camera and ended up getting her first ever ticket/points etc. in her 80-odd years - was she upset!

But the daft overtaking wouldn't be needed if people didn't absolutely insist on driving everywhere at 30mph on a dead straight road! :evil:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland