walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hohbalmen 1A. Zermatt to the waterfall and Hohbalmen

Hohbalmen 1A. Zermatt to the waterfall and Hohbalmen

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Date walked: 10/08/2018

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The terrain to the South and East of Zermatt is covered by a mass of (in Summer) very ugly ski paraphernalia, but to the North and West the ground is much too steep for skiing and there are a number of scenic paths - notably that over the Hohbalmen - high meadows. To get to the start you head West beyond the village of Zmutt to a very obvious waterfall.
You can also take the lift from Zermatt to Schwartzee and walk down to the waterfall saving about an hour - as I get older I find it a better option :lol: but that's in part 1B
01.jpg
The waterfall - visible from afar - is in fact artificial, the stream being channelled over the top of the cliff :lol:
I have done this walk in both directions many many times over the last fifteen years or so, and photos are from different times.
02.jpg
Map of the two routes - from Zermatt village and from Schwartzee
There are innumerable ways to start from Zermatt but probably the nicest is to follow the signs to Kalbermatten - head up R in the centre of the village - as it takes you past these lovely old buildings.
03.jpg

04.jpg

The upper part of the Mattertal has a wonderful selection of flowers. With the Matterhorn having at one time been on a different continent, I'm sure there are a huge variety of different soil types in the area - though I am no expert :lol:
05.jpg
Campanula barbata - Bearded Bellflower
05a.jpg
Polygala alpestris - Subalpine Milkwort
06.jpg
Dianthus sylvestris - Wood Pink
07.jpg
Astralagus alpinus - Alpine milk vetch[i]
08.jpg
[i]There are several cafes in Zmutt - this is probably the nicest. it's a bit early for a stop on the way up, but if you're going the other way it makes a nice watering hole an hour or so before the end :)

09.jpg
From Zmutt - looking down the "ordinary" route back to Zermatt
10.jpg
The Kalbermatten path goes above Zmutt
11.jpg
Swiss cows always seem very relaxed and friendly
12.jpg

13.jpg
Sadly the little cafe at Kalbermatten closed a few years ago - I don't suppose it was ever a great money spinner :lol:
There are lots of flowers beside the path
14.jpg
Teucrium montanum - Mountain Germander
15.jpg
Gypsophila repens - Gypsophila
16.jpg
Gentiana prostrata - Prostrate Gentian
17a.jpg
Helianthemum alpestris - Alpine Rock-rose
18.jpg
Geum retans - Creeping Avens
19.jpg
A bit further on, the path is officially closed due to rockfall a few years ago. - (Photo taken from above) I wouldn't like to go under it if there were melting snow, but in Summer I suspect you would be far more likely to be run down on Princess St. than come to harm here. However if you do have an accident, no-one will have any sympathy - you take your choice :lol: :lol:
20.jpg
The path of the righteous therefore descends 70m or so to the stream - but eventually you have to climb back up :(
21.jpg
Whereas the path of the sinners carries on :lol:
22.jpg
walking through the "iffy" bit :lol:
23.jpg
A few metres further on however, what looks like a middle path bears L - I've not investigated it
01.jpg
Soon after you come out at the foot of the waterfall
30.jpg
At the foot of the fall the Dent d'Herens appears L of the Tiefenmattenjoch

At the waterfall the hard work begins
32.jpg

34.jpg
A steep zigzag track takes you up to a relatively flat area above the waterfall
33.jpg
looking back through the fall
35.jpg
the stream above
35a.jpg
A wider view - looking up the valley
35b.jpg
Looking back again
36.JPG
A wider view of the stream
37.jpg
North face of the Matterhorn in its full glory
38.jpg
Looking the other way towards Monte Rosa and The Liskamm.
The path reaches a junction (signpost) where it continues up the valley to the Schonbiel hut - but you head upwards on a long zigzag to the R followed by an even longer one back L
41.jpg
Two views looking on up the first zigzag
42.jpg
From the top of the first zigzag: looking across the "waterworks" to the path down from Schwartzee: if you don't take the "short cut" you have to make quite a detour through Stafel
44.jpg

45.jpg
Looking up the (long) second zigzag
46.jpg
At the top of the second zigzag lookin up towards the Ober Gabelhorn: the ridge on the L is the Arbengrat and the little Arben bivouac is on one of the rocky lumps in the glacier
4885.jpg
A few metres up an R and you emerge at the start of the Hobalmen
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland