walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Zermatt Hohbalmen 2. Over the Hohbalmen to Trift

Zermatt Hohbalmen 2. Over the Hohbalmen to Trift

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Date walked: 13/08/2018

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Again photos are from several different trips.
31.jpg
map of the Hohbalm traverse
4885.jpg
First view over the Hobalmen
4885b.jpg
The views East start to open out - Liskamm, Breithorn and Klein Matterhorn
4886.jpg
Monte Rosa (Nordend and Dufourspitz) appears
4887.jpg
While behind, the Dent d'Herens sits above the top of the moraines
4894.jpg
The hard work is not completely over but the angle of the path is a lot easier now
4888.jpg

4891.jpg
Looking back
The path continues gently upwards to reach a high point just over 2700m and then remains flat for about 2Km to reach a signpost. The path itself is not particularly exciting but the views are stunning. This a relatively dry South-facing slope so there are fewer and less "exciting" flowers

Views over the Hohbalmen
4895.jpg

4897_2.jpg
I keep seeing these buds: - if only they would come out I could identify them :lol:
4903.jpg

4906.jpg

4909.jpg

4912_2.jpg
Botrychium lunaria - Moonwort. This can be found in the UK and has various "superstitions" associated with it
4918.jpg

4922.jpg
Views in both directions from the high point
4924.jpg

4930.jpg

4931.jpg

4932.jpg

4934.jpg
At this signpost you can turn R and descend the very steep slopes back to Zermatt on a narrow zigzag path - but what a terrible waste of all your efforts :( Better by far is to continue on and down to the Trift hotel and stay the night - or at least have a beer before continuing :)
4933.jpg
The path begins to curve round to the L and the Mettelhorn, Platthorn and Wisshorn come into view
4943.jpg
Then the Zinal Rothorn
4943a.jpg
And finally the Ober Gabelhorn and Wellenkuppe
4942.jpg
Looking across the Mattertal - Dom, Taschhorn, Alphubel, Allalinhorn, Rimpfischhorn, Strahlhorn and Adlerhorn
4941.jpg
Looking back to the Matterhorn
4946.jpg
The Eastern end of the traverse seen from across the valley near Sunnega: The Ober Gabelhorn is on the R with the Trift valley beneath
4944.JPG

4945.jpg

4948.jpg
Various late afternoon views as you start to descend. The grassy valley R of centre in this photo (and the next) is the start of tomorrow's route to the Mettelhorn
6057.JPG

6060.JPG
And a couple of early morning ones when I went the other way
4951.jpg
The Trift hotel comes into viewl
4954.jpg
nearly there
The Berghaus Trift has an interesting history. The original building - happily on a slightly different site - was destroyed in the Winter of 1898 by an avalanche so violent that items of crockery, cutlery and even undamaged bottles of wine were found in the meadows of Zermatt over 2km away :shock:
This is a typical "Berg hotel" and has individual bedrooms as well as a lager, indoor toilets , running cold water and a good supply of beer etc. The water is not drinkable - it costs too much to test - but everybody drinks it and no-one seems to suffer :D :lol: I stay there almost every year - and if you tell "Mein Host" Hugo Biner that Toni-from-Tasch has told you to come, he might be persuaded to play the Alpenhorn - at which he's rather good :D - but don't expect a discount - it's not a word that the Swiss are at all familiar with :lol: :lol: :lol:
4957.jpg

4960.jpg

This is Hugo playing his horn - an impromptu performance - he much prefers to practice. The Alpenhorn is not an easy instrument to play
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland