walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dyfi Hills

Dyfi Hills

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cribin Fawr, Maesglase, Pen y Brynfforchog, Waun-oer

Date walked: 05/01/2019

Time taken: 5.25

Distance: 18.4 km

Ascent: 1641m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Up to Wales for the weekend with the lads. One of my mates was coming from down South so it made sense to meet him just after 10am at somewhere nicely accessible from the M54 to reduce his journey a bit.

The Dyfi Hills fitted the bill nicely and meant that we could leave one car at the top of the pass and start from Dinas Mawddwy with the option of doing a quick extension from Bwlch Oerddrws up Pen y Brynfforchog if light allowed.This avoided a long walk back on a major road.

A cloudy day but our hills were clear and the ground was surprisingly firm after a couple of frosts. Good ridge walking on the whole with quite a few ups and downs.

1 Traverse.JPG
The initial walk from Dinas Mawddwy is steeply up through woodland and then along a narrow (and slippy today) traverse path along the flanks of Foel Dinas

2 M ahead.JPG
Maesglase ahead

2 Looking at M.JPG
Eventually you arrive at Bwlch Siglen

2 Heading up M.JPG
The ridge walk is good and sticks very closely to the edge so careful walking is required

3 M Ridge - me.jpg
The ridge to Maesglase with me on the airy pinnacle from which you get a good view of the waterfalls

4 pinnacle.JPG
Pinnacle again

5 M.JPG
Cairn on Maesglase

6 Ridge ahead.JPG
The route ahead to the next two Hewitts now reveals itself. It's an interesting one which I'm guessing could be wet at times with a few boardwalk sections

7 WO.JPG
Traversing to Waun-oer - although you more or less climb Cribin Fawr first

8 WO Trig to Cadair.JPG
Waun-oer Trig Point with Cadair Idris behind

9 Steeply down WO.JPG
Looking back at the descent from Waun-oer - it's a steep drop between this and Cribin Fawr

9 CF.JPG
Somewhere in the proximity of Cribin Fawr's unmarked summit

10 Quarry.JPG
Checking out the quarry workings

11 PF ahead.JPG
Pen y Brynfforchog ahead although there's a big drop to the road inbetween

12 Steeply up PF.JPG
Heading steeply up Pen y Brynfforchog on the other side of Bwlch Oerddrws. One of the lads called it a day at the car park but I managed to drag a few up.

13 PF summit in view.JPG
Pen y Brynfforchog in view

14 PF with G in view.JPG
Pen y Brynfforchog with Glasgwm in view. Never planned to head there today due to time issues and I think the lads would have hung me if I suggested it!

15 Back to CF and Cadiar.JPG
Looking back to Cribin Fawr and Cadair Idris

16 M again.JPG
Maesglase

17 Looking back at the initial ascent.JPG
After dropping back to the pass we went back to retrieve the other car from the car park in Dinas Mawddwy - looking back at that initial woodland ascent

18 Pint.JPG
Quick pint in the pleasant local there
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland