walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfect winters morning around Grasmere

Perfect winters morning around Grasmere

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:46 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Heron Pike, Loughrigg Fell, Nab Scar, Silver How

Date walked: 17/01/2019

Time taken: 3.45

Distance: 17.6 km

Ascent: 1382m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A wonderful winters morning around some fells in Grasmere. Started early as I needed to be back in Preston for 1pm.

Quite a new route to me with the ascent route up Heron Pike and then the walk around Loughrigg Fell and up from Loughrigg Tarn being virgin ground.

Bitterly cold northern wind so opted to walk with my back to it to begin with. Ground frozen solid with some light snow on the high peaks.

1 Path to A Tarn.JPG
Well made and pleasant path up to Alcock Tarn

2 Great winters day already.JPG
Looking back over Grasmere - a lovely winters day already

3 A tarn and sunrise behind.JPG
Alcock Tarn with the sun rising behind. I hadn't been here before and it's a gem of a place and you can tell why it's popular.

4 Coniston fells.JPG
Coniston Fells and Alcock tarn as I climb pathlessly from the tarn up Heron Pike

5 Fairfield and co from Heron PIke.JPG
Fairfield from Heron Pike - would have been a great day for the horseshoe but I had other plans today

6 Sunrise and Windermere.JPG
Big sunrise and Windermere

7 Nab Scar and Langdale giants.JPG
Nab Scar and some Lakeland giants

8 Round Loughrigg Coniston Fells.JPG
Heading around Loughrigg Fell from Rydal with the Coniston hills in view again

9 Langdale Pkes.JPG
Langdale Pikes

10 L tarn.JPG
Loughrigg Tarn - again hadn't been here before

11 Up L.JPG
Nor had I been up Loughrigg Fell from this side - a nice route and I had it to myself

12 L Trig.JPG
A strangely quiet Loughrigg Fell Trig Point

13 Silver How ahead.JPG
Silver How ahead - plenty of little ups and downs between Loughrigg and this one

14 Lakes from S how.JPG
Grasmere and Rydal Water from Silver How
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland