walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quick round from Nenthead

A quick round from Nenthead

Postby Gargantuan Tribe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: The Dodd

Date walked: 12/02/2019

Time taken: 2

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 270m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a small number of hours to spend in the morning and so thought I would continue with the hills of the North Pennines. I had last visited Nenthead in January 2017 to climb Flinty Fell and Dead Stones, this time there was a lot less snow and ice (though that did make it a lot boggier).
Originally I was going to combine it with some of the other local hills but I only had the morning including the drive so made do with just the one for now.
Parking up in Nenthead, I made my way north out of the village before picking up Isaac's Tea Trail going east - the hilltops were covered in cloud but at least it wasn't raining and I was hoping that the cloud would lift fairly soonish (it didn't). I followed Isaac's Tea Trail for a kilometre before leaving it for a bridleway that clearly was not often used as it appeared to be a shorter route to the summit. Although it was technically shorter, it was a very boggy path and I doubt that it saved me any time. I soon crossed the Tea Trail once again and then headed to the top. As I left my guiding wall the visibility was quite poor but with a bit of help from my compass I soon found the small summit cairn in amongst the peat hags. However by now a stiff (and very cold) breeze had picked up and I was quickly retracing my steps back to the Tea Trail.
I picked this up once again and made my way through the heather down to Coalcleugh (a collection of a small number of farmhouses which appear to be hugging together out of the wind). I then followed the road south and back into Cumbria (and it must be said that the boundary signs for Northumberland both on the trail and on the road are far more welcoming than those for Cumbria) and then turned off to go along the off road route for National Cycle Trail 7 down into Nenthead. By this time the cloud had got even lower and so it took a while of descent before I could see anything clearly again - though when it did it meant that Nenthead was a lot closer than I thought it was going to be!
Before returning to the car I popped in to the village shop to pick up some bread and a newspaper (as you do) and also to see my first people of the walk - the North Pennines are always very quiet!
All in all, it may have been short and it may have been quick, but it was good fun nonetheless - even without any decent views!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Gargantuan Tribe
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:58
Wainwrights:22   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland