walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdon February sunbathing session! (200 UP!)

Snowdon February sunbathing session! (200 UP!)

Postby davekermito » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Crib y Ddysgl, Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa, Y Lliwedd

Date walked: 24/02/2019

Time taken: 6

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1200m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's been a while!

After walking and squelching through Wales' less glamorous peaks over the last couple of years, I'd saved Snowdon for a special occasion. But it wasn't a ticking mission as I'd been to the top of Wales as a kid with school so I'd need to take on the horseshoe to bring up hewitt no. 200 in the sunshine.

Well almost the horseshoe.

Bearing in mind I'd lost a lot any remnant of hill fitness by inactivity, I'd roped a work mate into having a wander around the horseshoe. This time it was Garnedd Ugain (Crib y Ddysgl), Snowdon and Y Lliwedd. Leaving a short trip over Crib Goch to share with my rock happy kids soon to complete the set.

Pyg Track and zig zags, with a quick there and back on to Garnedd Ugain. On to the tourist covered (and disgracefully rubbish covered) Snowdon, before my highlight of the day - simple scramble up to Y Lliwedd's twin tops. Was feeling the lack of hill fitness on the way down to the miners track and spent many a moment in that split second before cramp hits probably not helped by the unseasonably (record breaking) February weather.

Note on the weather - shorts and t shirts for 80% of the day in February. :shock:

Anyway, you've read the reports about a billion times before so have a few photos from the usual places!

Early morning Crib Goch from the start of the Pyg Track

Looking up the Pyg track to Snowdon. Beautifully warm and still conditions

Classic view of Glaslyn

Crib Goch from the top of Garnedd Ugain

Would have been 200 but for a school trip!

Top of Snowdon looking over Crib Goch

Top of Y Lliwedd no. 1 after a fun little scramble

Like a mill pond

Pen y Pass YHA in February!

Thanks for looking!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: Snowdon February sunbathing session! (200 UP!)

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Great ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I love it there, some great memories from my trips - climbing there. Looking forward to do the Horseshoe again.
Glad you got the views, nice photos :clap: :clap: :clap: unbelievable, but perfect conditions for February allowing to enjoy some good and well reserved refreshment after :D 8) :wink: :thumbup:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland