walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bowfell

Bowfell

Postby tango » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowfell, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, Pike o'Blisco, Rosset Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowfell, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags (Long Top), Crinkle Crags South Top, Pike of Blisco, Rossett Pike, Shelter Crags

Date walked: 27/06/2010

Time taken: 8

Distance: 21.8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Early start, couldn't sleep too much light beaming into the van,& excited. so moving by 0415hrs grid 284054 N up the road to grid 285059,track to Stool End,Brown Howe & onto the Pike Of Blisco, across to Cold Pike,Cold Pike west top & Cold Pike far west top. across the open ground to Great Knott,around Little Stand N onto Crinkle Crags south top then onto Crinkle Crags main top a little scramble up to Shelter Crags north top, onto Bowfell,then down to Angle tarn & up to Rossett Pike, down & onto the Cumbria Way back to Middle Fell Farm & back to the van,Finished at 1215hrs. Going was good, with views halfway up,low cloud on the tops,Hot in the valley so i was glad i started that early :D , walking buddys were Riff Raff,Ludo & Tic Tac dogs
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tango

Re: Bowfell

Postby mountain coward » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:00 am

I'd wonder what to do with the rest of the day if I finished my walks that early! And I certainly couldn't get up at that time to start off! Any photos? It's a great area...

Where did you manage to park your van? It would be very expensive in one of the Langdale carparks so I'm assuming you managed to find somewhere else?
mountain coward

Postby Glenrothes » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:42 am

mountain coward wrote:Where did you manage to park your van? It would be very expensive in one of the Langdale carparks so I'm assuming you managed to find somewhere else?

There's a small free parking area/lay-by on the left by the old bridge about 400mtrs before the ODG - room for about 10 cars if you get there early!

I was told some weeks ago that the car parking charges in areas close to popular walking/climbing routes have been raised to £7 for anything over 4 hours - Such prices have now justified the installation of credit card machines at several although I've not seen them as being a tight-arse I prefer to find somewhere that's free and spend my money in the pub later!!! :wink: :silent:
Last edited by Glenrothes on Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenrothes

Postby tango » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:47 am

Merry Christmas, everybody. I squeezed the van in on the road up by Wall farm, there is a wee hard standing there. Park up brew on & chill :D . When i finished i took the scenic route home via Settle & Skipton,.. :lol:
tango

Postby Glenrothes » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:59 am

tango wrote:Merry Christmas, everybody. I squeezed the van in on the road up by Wall farm, there is a wee hard standing there. Park up brew on & chill :D . When i finished i took the scenic route home via Settle & Skipton,.. :lol:

I thought Wall Farm was about a half mile up a private road or is that Stool End Farm?? :?
Glenrothes

Postby tango » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:06 am

I Think that's Stool farm!!, Wall fm is just follow your nose & before you start to go up hill it is on your right & the hard standing is on your left!! You have to walk 0.5 miles back to Stool fm, :D
tango

Postby fedupofuserids » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:00 am

I can remember when Langdale had quite a few free lay-by's before the POLICE warning signs.

£7 ???? What on earth are the National Trust/LDNP thinking ?

Add petrol even a cheap day out walking turns out costly.

No wonder people bugger off abroad.
fedupofuserids

Postby mountain coward » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:41 am

tango wrote:When i finished i took the scenic route home via Settle & Skipton,.. :lol:

Being local to that area, I call that the slow route! It's shocking! Can't wait to retire and move nearer to the Lakes and the M6 and cut that bit out!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland