walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Robert Louise Stevenson

Robert Louise Stevenson

Postby regedmunds » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:47 pm

Date walked: 27/03/2019

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A couple of years ago a neighbours little girl (10yrs) knocked at out door with a note "My mum said you need to read this!" Mum suggested that I read 'Travels with a Donkey in the Cevenne' by Robert Louis Stevenson. I downloaded it, it was free!

I read it from end to end and really enjoyed the book, especially his descriptions of the equipment he took with him, for example, an egg whisk, black bread (what is black bread?) and a revolver! His sleeping sack sounded interesting. He bought and travelled with a donkey who he named Modestine.

I then did the walk. Made my way to Le Puy en Velay and hiked for the next 12 days to St Jean du Gard. He wrote his book in 1878 and I dont think the area had changed much, except for cars! If you get the chance, do read the book and then do the walk. Marvellous!

Interestingly, I've found that very few people that I have met since in the UK have ever heard of this book. More people seem to know and love it, especially in France, Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. I met quite a few European families who had hired donkeys to do the walk 'properly', I just walked it.
regedmunds

Re: Robert Louise Stevenson

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:09 am

Nice recommendation! RLS' kit reminds me of polymath/Orientalist John Leyden who "sallied out" to climb Ben Cruachan in 1800, "having armed myself this forenoon with a hammer and a bottle of cider"...
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Re: Robert Louise Stevenson

Postby Sgurr » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:59 pm

My daughter was taken by a friend's parents to follow the route, or part of it when she was 14. I was always being asked for the book when I was a 2nd hand book seller and one of my customers followed the route and wrote a book about it in 2004

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Hopefully-Journal-Death-Foretold/dp/1861977085/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Christopher+Rush&qid=1553792226&s=books&sr=1-5
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland