walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scafell Pike from Seathwaite - via the Corridor Route

Scafell Pike from Seathwaite - via the Corridor Route

Postby lauramacn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Date walked: 27/03/2019

Time taken: 6

Distance: 15.8 km

Ascent: 934m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I visited the lakes last year (2018) and had really wanted to climb Scafell Pike, however the Beast from the East had other ideas and when I arrived the hill was in full winter conditions, for which I was unprepared.
This year I didn't want to similarly miss out and , as there had been some snow and it was still lying in places, I decided to book a guided walk.
I found https://thelakedistrictwalker.co.uk/scafell-pike.html and booked their Scafell Pike Walk.
As I was walking alone it offered the reassurance I wanted in case the conditions were beyond what I was comfortable with.

I met my guide, Nathan, at Seathwaite and discovered that I was the only walker! I was fortunate therefore to have a private guided walk for a very reasonable price and I'd not hesitate to recommend them.

We left the farm and headed alongside Styhead Gill, with a little bit of scrambling required.

Scafell - Corridor Route.JPG
Alongside Styhead Gill

We then gained Styhead Tarn and on to the famous Stretcher Box.

Scafell - Stretcher Box.JPG
Stretcher Box

Nathan dealt with the navigation at the point and we made our way along the Corridor Route.
The wee scramble alongside Styhead Gill had been a good warm up for the Bad Step and it was no bother at all.

We'd been hoping the clouds would clear but as we climbed we ended up heading into the clouds and a rather chilly summit.

Scafell - Summit Trig.JPG
Summit Trig

Some quick photos and lunch to fuel the descent and we were on our way back down, veering towards Great End but not summitting.
Descending below the clouds allowed the views to appear again and it was a stunning walk all the way back down to the farm.

Scafell - Views on Descent.JPG
Views on Descent

Scafell - Great End.JPG
Great End

All in all a great day and a real treat to have a private guided walk.
I was delighted to tick Scafell Pike off my list.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

lauramacn
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   Islands:24
Walk wish-list

Re: Scafell Pike from Seathwaite - via the Corridor Route

Postby dav2930 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Definitely one of the finest fell walks in England, by exactly that route. Nice one. The variation by Taylor Gill is much more interesting (and slightly shorter) than the usual Stockley Bridge approach. Shame the clag was down on top, but sounds like you enjoyed the trip nonetheless. I guess a guided walk is a safe way of gaining some experience, with a prospect of applying what you learn from the guide on your own walks in the future. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland