walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lantau Peak ascent, Lantau Island, Hong Kong, China

Lantau Peak ascent, Lantau Island, Hong Kong, China

Postby PauloUK77 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:09 pm

Date walked: 19/11/2018

Time taken: 4

Distance: 9 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk begins at Ngong Ping which can be reached by bus from various locations or the brilliant Ngong Ping 360 cable car from Tung Chung. After walking past Po Lin Monastery the signs point the way for a very steep but well maintained climb. After a ridge is reached which gave some stunning views of Shek Pik Reservoir, the coastline and also the new bridge which is the longest in the world.
I was very impressed by the whole experience of climbing this peak, the weather was perfect and the locals were full of questions asking where I am from and wishing me well.

PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Lantau Peak ascent, Lantau Island, Hong Kong, China

Postby Pointless Parasite » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 am

Fantastic, thanks for sharing. I bet that strong wind felt good. Lantau Island is one of my favorite places in the world. I visited about 10 years ago and went to the Big Buddha monastery but it was far too hot to contemplate any long walks. I remember getting a meal at Big Buddha that included what can best be described as a bucket of rice along with a bucket of green tea. Happy days.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Lantau Peak ascent, Lantau Island, Hong Kong, China

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:13 am

It is a great place and perfect for walking in certain months. November is great, just right temperature wise to enjoy the walking. I was shocked at how popular heading into the hills is in China. They love it too which was good to see.
I am hoping to head back to this area and explore more.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland