walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My first Tryfan ascent

My first Tryfan ascent

Postby al78 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:00 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Tryfan

Date walked: 23/04/2019

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 680m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Easter Sunday, and spectacular warm sunny weather meant picking a hill to climb. I was originally thinking of going up Snowdon via a route I have not done, but my sister invited me round for a roast dinner late afternoon so didn't have time to drive to Snowdonia and do a full day walk up a 1000+m peak, so settled for a 3000+ footer that can be knocked off relatively quickly, that I haven't climbed before, and is highly recommended.

I drove from Salford to the Ogwen valley and of course with weather like it was on Easter Sunday the world and his wife is out, so finding a parking space was the first task. I ended up having to park on the roadside with two wheels on the pavement, I don't like doing that as a rule but I made sure I wasn't obstructing traffic and there was space on the pavement for people to pass.

I was close to the point where there is a gate, then a path which leads up alongside a stone wall to a wall of rock, where I turned left and headed steeply up the hillside. The route is basically a steep path which only requires minimal hand use for stability. I did go a bit off route a couple of times but it is easy and quick to see when you have stepped up the wrong way. It is a bit of a slog but I've done these types of ascents plenty of times and it is a case of not rushing and finding a sustainable pace.

WP_20190421_001.jpg
Early on in the climb, looking SE along the valley, campsite lower left corner.

After what seemed to take a very long time, I reached a rock formation that looked like an erect penis.

WP_20190421_003.jpg
The Cannon stone.

I climbed on to the rock and shuffled to the end, not quite with my legs dangling off the very end, but sitting with my left hand holding onto the tip.

Beyond the Cannon stone there was a bit of light scrambling before the steepness eased. Then from what I remember it was a combination of walking, and low level scrambling. I was making decent progress before coming across what looked at first glance like a formiddable obstacle. A big mount of rock and boulders straight ahead which had to be taken head on. This was the north tower, and was the start of the proper scrambling.

WP_20190421_004.jpg
North tower.

WP_20190421_005.jpg
Looking across to the other Glyders.

At about this point I met up with a small group which turned out to be a guide with three clients, and I sort of ended up tagging along with them. The guide somehow got the impression I either didn't know what I was doing, or was out of my depth, because he was giving me the same words of encouragement as his clients. It was a steep scramble, and it was the point where I had to pay attention to route finding and where best to put hands and feet to keep lifting myself upward, but I wasn't nervous, and to me it felt like an excellent introduction to scrambling techniques, enough to have to think about it, but not oh-my-God overwhelming. I understand this is a grade 1 scramble.

This scramble seemed to come in two stages., two steep four-limb-drive bits with a breather in between, but with a slight downclimb required, which really wasn't a big deal. After a bit of sustained (and enjoyable) scrambling I eventually reached the summit, and the Adam and Eve stones, which I didn't have a go at after I lept from a much smaller rock to another and lost balance nearly falling over, that is a sign that you shouldn't climb five feet up and try and do the same thing, at least not if you don't want to be carried back down.

WP_20190421_009.jpg
The summit, Adam and Eve.

WP_20190421_010.jpg

WP_20190421_011.jpg

WP_20190421_013.jpg
The world and his wife.

After having lunch and soaking up the views, I started to make my way down the south ridge to the col between Tryfan and Bristly ridge. I didn't have time to do Bristly ridge as well (next time) so from the col I turned right and headed down the well made path to the visitor centre. On the way down I looked back to admire the mountain I had just traversed.

WP_20190421_014.jpg
Bristly ridge

WP_20190421_016.jpg
Looking back to Tryfan

When I reached the visitor centre I used the toilet and felt the need to satisfy a sugar craving with a can of 7-up and a millionaires shortcake slice, which went down very nicely. Then is was just a matter of walking along the roadside to the car, with the fantastic view of the fin-like structure of Tryfan ahead of me. I could even see the Cannon stone from the roadside, approximately half way up the mountain.

WP_20190421_018.jpg
Tryfan from the A5.

View of Tryfan from the A5. What a fantastic mountain. The Ogwen valley itself is fantastic. It looks like it should be in the Scottish Highlands, it is almost like a Welsh version of Glen Coe.

I can recommend the north face of Tryfan to anyone who wants to get into scrambling, as a good introduction. It teaches the basics without looking like it is going to kick you up the backside at any moment if you put a foot wrong.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by al78 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: My first Tryfan ascent

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Understandable to liken clergymen to erect penises, but you probably mean "cannon"... :wink: Glad you found your route and had a great day!
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby simon-b » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Great mountain, al. A nice choice for a shorter route which still has something of a challenge. It's a good job you weren't trying to park at Pen-y-pass!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby al78 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:41 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:Understandable to liken clergymen to erect penises, but you probably mean "cannon"... :wink: Glad you found your route and had a great day!

Thanks, now corrected.
al78
Walker

Postby al78 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm

simon-b wrote:Great mountain, al. A nice choice for a shorter route which still has something of a challenge. It's a good job you weren't trying to park at Pen-y-pass!

It is a dead loss trying to park there unless you are staying in the vicinity and are prepared to get there at the crack of dawn in the spring and summer. I drove there once from Salford on a working day in October and couldn't park there, so drove towards Llamberis and found a layby near some boulders, just under two miles from Pen-y-pass, then walked back up. That was the day I did Crib Goch.

If I were climbing Snowdon again, I would either try the Rangers path which is a side I haven't ascended from, or the Watkin path which is a lovely route up and down.
al78
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 pm

. Rather more adventurous ascent than ours. You should thank your stars you didn't attempt Snowdon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48004374
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:45 pm

Sgurr wrote:. Rather more adventurous ascent than ours. You should thank your stars you didn't attempt Snowdon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48004374

If I'd had a full day free I probably would have done, using the Ranger and Rhyd Ddu path to do a circular route. I did think at the time that given how busy Tryfan was, Snowdon would surely be rammed full. A beautiful and hilly area within a day trip of several major urban areas is going to attract a lot of visitors on a sunny bank holiday weekend, it is not like Scotland where there are areas to explore several hours walk from a road where you might not see a soul all day.
al78
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland