walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Climbing with my shadow at Armathwaite (video)

Climbing with my shadow at Armathwaite (video)

Postby dav2930 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:56 pm

Date walked: 21/04/2019

Time taken: 1

Distance: 2.25 km

Ascent: 89m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Family commitments left me precious little time to get out over the Easter weekend, which was especially frustrating given the superb weather. But I managed to steal a couple of hours on the Sunday afternoon for a quick saunter down (up) the river Eden from the village of Armathwaite. Not exactly a hill walk, this, but it's a lovely stretch of river with beautiful woodland and some interesting rapids and sandstone cliffs. It's very popular with local trippers as well as climbers, so I was expecting a lot of people. As it turned out there were a few walkers and picnickers, but, to my surprise, no climbers.

I took my rock shoes and chalk bag along with a view to soloing the classic 'Flasherman' (no doubt you'll see why it's so-named if you watch the vid :roll: :lol: ). A recent guidebook describes Flasherman as 'one of the best sandstone climbs anywhere' - a wildly exaggerated claim if 'anywhere' is taken literally, but it's certainly one of the finest sandstone climbs in Cumbria!

I thought I'd record the climb on my GoPro, which I haven't used much, so a bit of an experiment really. No musical soundtrack, I'm afraid - that's something I'll have to think about for future videos.

After the climb I headed back to the Fox and Pheasant pub, which was rammed, so I ended up in the garden of the Duke's Head just across the river. A nice end to a pleasant afternoon :)

Climb: Flasherman, 30m VS 4b
First ascent: A. Yarrow, S. Wilson, May 17 1973.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Climbing with my shadow at Armathwaite (video)

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:40 am

Heck, that looks superb and pretty challenging as a solo! I don't know whether you did it on sight, but you certainly shot up there pretty smartly :shock: .

Noted, and on the list of climbs to take a look at.

Thanks for posting.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Wow :clap:
Yes the hardest I ever soloed was about mild Severe. i went to Armathwaite a couple of times . I remember an HVS where climbed up a corner to a roof where you had a make a very long stride R to get round it. I was never tall enough to make it :lol: :lol:
You're not thinking of repeating the El Cap solo are you? :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Heck, that looks superb and pretty challenging as a solo! I don't know whether you did it on sight, but you certainly shot up there pretty smartly :shock: .

Noted, and on the list of climbs to take a look at.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers AK. I've done Flasherman a few times over the years, so it wasn't an on-sight. I remembered the general layout of the climb and certain crucial holds, but there are always things you forget from previous ascents.

It is a lovely climb with nice holds and moves and nothing too difficult. Two overhanging bits constitute the two cruxes, the first at about 20ft. and the second at about 70ft. I'd certainly recommend it as a solo if you're climbing regularly at VS and above. It's a fairly soft touch for a VS; UKC gives it 4c, but I think 4b is nearer the mark (and what it gets in the FRCC guide).

For a first go at it, I'd recommend dropping a rope down (good tree belays at the top) and self-belaying with a shunt or Tibloc. See how you get on and then decide whether you're prepared to solo it. Karl seconded me up it a couple of years ago and fell off, so beware.

There are other, easier climbs at Armathwaite well worth doing, Such as Bullgine Run (VDiff) and Kingfisher (Severe). If you fall off the latter you'll land in the river - better than hitting the ground! Armathwaite has a certain magic; definitely worth a visit. :D
dav2930
Ambler

Postby dav2930 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:34 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Wow :clap:
Yes the hardest I ever soloed was about mild Severe. i went to Armathwaite a couple of times . I remember an HVS where climbed up a corner to a roof where you had a make a very long stride R to get round it. I was never tall enough to make it :lol: :lol:
You're not thinking of repeating the El Cap solo are you? :lol: :lol:

Thanks Tony.

No, I'm definitely not thinking of repeating the El Cap solo! :lol: That was seriously pushing the boat out even for Alex Honnold; the technical standard he solo's at is just unbelievable. :shock:

The climb you describe sounds like it could be Barnacle Bill (now graded E1)? There are certainly some great climbs at Armathwaite, though the rock can be soft in places. :D
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Grisu » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Breathtaking! I am not used to climbing and I hardly could stand to watch the video until the end. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby dav2930 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Grisu wrote:Breathtaking! I am not used to climbing and I hardly could stand to watch the video until the end. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Grisu! Climbing is a very exhilarating pursuit if you like a challenge; it's surprising what you can do when you get used to it. Soloing is a bit risky though.
dav2930
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland