walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carneddau Linear walk

Carneddau Linear walk

Postby woodie31 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd Dafydd, Pen yr Ole Wen, Yr Elen

Date walked: 22/04/2019

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yr Elen.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Easter Bank Holiday Monday saw me make my third trip to Wales in as many weeks.

Wanting to bag the three Hewitts of Pen Yr Ole wen, Carnedd Dafydd and Yr Elen. As I had already bagged Carnedd Llewelyn and Pen Yr Helgi Du I decided on a there and back route. However, in hindsight looking back at the difference in kilometres (3 or 4 more) and the weather on the day I should of opted for a circular route.

There is ample parking available on the A5 close to Llyn Ogwen.
I set off at 10am from the A5 taking the footpath north past Glan Dena, towards Llyn Ogwen Farm, Where a ladder stile crosses the wall. Following the path up close to Afon Lloer was a little bit stony and boggy in one or two places.

003.jpg
Path close to Llyn Ogwen farm

005.jpg
looking back towards Tryfan from the second ladder stile

008.jpg
Afoen. Lloer

After crossing a second ladder stile at was at the base of Pen Yr Ole Wens East ridge.
The steep rocks look difficult at first, however a clear scrambling route enables you to pick your way onward and upwards.
There was nothing technical to worry about.

A shale path then takes you up the East Ridge to the summit. The perfect weather gave me superb views of Ffynnon Lloer to my right and Tryfan and the Glyders to my left.

010 Pen Yr Ole Wen Summit.jpg
Pen Yr Ole Wen Summit

011 Tryfan from Pen Yr Ole Wen Summit.jpg
Tryfan and the Glyers From Pen Yr Ole Wen

012.jpg
Ffynnon Lloer

A rocky cairn marks the summit.

The route to the summit of Carnedd Dafydd was in clear view. Taking the main path North, I was soon at the summit.
A number of walkers where already enjoying lunch in the summit windbreaks.

013.jpg
Path to Carnedd Dafydd

014 Carnedd Dafydd Summit.jpg
Cairns re fashioned into windbreaks

The descent down the ridge towards Yr Elen had some breathtaking views. The rough bouldery sections can be avoided if you wish by dropping down to your right.

The path took me to the base of Carnedd Llewelyn, where I was able to skirt around rather than summit. A path then allowed me to drop back down the col. From here a good path takes you up to the summit of Yr Elen.

019 Yr Elen.jpg
Yr Elen summit

A great days walking.
woodie31
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:176
Wainwrights:75   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland