walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rwanda - Mt.Bisoke hike (with video)

Rwanda - Mt.Bisoke hike (with video)

Postby Karl Brobakk » Wed May 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Date walked: 13/02/2019

Time taken: 4

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1200m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What can you expect from this hike?

This hike goes through the rain forest, which is interesting if you have not hiked much in dense vegetation before. The hike takes place in Volcanoes national park, which means the mountain gorillas are in the area, as well as the buffalo. If you are lucky you might see the gorillas (without paying the permit), but do not count on it. You will hike with a guide, and armed soldiers. The hike is fairly steep, and goes more or less up all the time. When you get to the top you see the crater with the lake in it, hang around for a while, then you hike down the same way. The crater is nice, but for me it was not the big WOW I was hoping for.

Feel free to check out my video from when I did the Mt. Bisoke hike to see what it is like :) Starting 10 minutes and 20 seconds into the video.

Karl Brobakk

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland