walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

cnicht ~ the welsh matterhorn

cnicht ~ the welsh matterhorn

Postby phileccles » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cnicht

Date walked: 25/12/2010

Time taken: 4

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 225m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When you're walking along the High Street of Porthmadog it's easy to see why they call Cnicht the Matterhorn of Wales. From the south west the peak is sharp as the ridge rises abruptly from the village of Croesor to a 689 metre summit. It dominates the area and draws the eye better than most other peaks of Snowdonia. Jo and I thought that this pristine winter day, where the skies were cloudless and blue, would see many a like-minded walker wanting to shed some calories in time honoured fashion. But no...the mountain was completely and utterly empty. Ours were the only footprints of the day and, boy, did that make for heavy going. The windless weather had left the snow exactly where it had fallen. There were no drifts at all - just deep, soft, unconsolidated snow.
Our usual ascent time is normally a little over an hour. Today two hours and twenty minutes ticked by before we sat astride the summit rocks. We had worked hard and hadn't stopped other than for an occasional photograph. The views were of magnificent clarity. Easily over 25 miles. To the East and South the peaks of the Moelwyns were laden thick with snow. More snow, apparently, than anyone can remember hereabouts. To the North the mighty Snowdon and her glistering white acolytes made a picture perfect backdrop. In the West the sun slid ever lower into the greyness of the Irish Sea. The pink, blushed hues coursed slowly towards the dusk. Occasional shafts of bright sunshine broke through the clouds and speckled the snowy fields below.
Big memories from a small day.
PC250384.JPG
The pyramid peak of Cnicht ~ little surprise it's known as the Matterhorn of Wales
PC250404.JPG
Snowdon and her glistering acolytes. Low sun and long shadows. And across the frame a fox has left some tracks.
PC250408.JPG
The ridge drops to the plains of the Afon Glaslyn with Porthmadog and the Irish Sea beyond
PC250415.JPG
The dropping winter sun ignites the horizon
PC250436.JPG
Small walk ~ big memories
phileccles
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:14   

Re: cnicht ~ the welsh matterhorn

Postby yorkie bagger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:24 pm

That's a stunning hill isn't it. I've only done it once though - would love to do it again. You have some great photos there :D
yorkie bagger

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Beautiful :D Obviously the last day of the good weather though. I came down to Wales on late boxing day and everything was in full warm/wet/windy melting mode by then.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:35 am

Really enjoyed this hill and ts neighbours, some ruins to explore as well, good report :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountainstar » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:21 am

Cracking day you had there, I really like Cnitch, but living in East Wales means I don't get to it as much as some of the other hills as its that much further away by car, especially Croesor, so I've only been up it about 15 times :(
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby tango » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:20 pm

I done that hill back in November, i thought it was a great hill very different from the rest around it!! :D
tango

Postby icemandan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 pm

If Cnicht is the Matterhorn - does that make Porthmadog Zermatt?
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby Allan 601 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 pm

icemandan wrote:If Cnicht is the Matterhorn - does that make Porthmadog Zermatt?

Surely Beddgelert would be Cnicht's Zermatt. :)
Allan 601
Stravaiging

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:223
Wainwrights:214   

Postby yorkie bagger » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:27 am

More like Croesor...
yorkie bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland