walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A few Welsh hills

A few Welsh hills

Postby ChrisG » Tue May 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Elidir Fawr, Foel-goch (Glyders), Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 24/05/2019

Time taken: 6

Distance: 14.61 km

Ascent: 1046m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very good morning out in the Welsh hills, The paths are very clear and the navigation very easy in the fine weather we had. However the path off is not clear and kind of disappears one at the bottom of the grassy slope. I have guessed our route off after that so please do not use this line as a path you will have to find your own way as we did.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: A few Welsh hills

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed May 29, 2019 3:50 pm

A good round of some nice hills!

Assuming you went up Y Garn first and descended after Elidir? If so, there is a path more or less on the line of your descent route - a narrow trod, not easy to spot, but it weaves its way easily through some fine scenery including the Mushroom Garden. There are the remains of a molybdenum mine there.

IMG_0545.jpg

If you are around that area again, it's worth going on to Carnedd Y Filiast, if only for the sight of the bizarre Atlantic Slab with its regular "ripples" and quartz veins - similar in angle and scale to the Beinn Trilleachan slabs, but seemingly less well known.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: A few Welsh hills

Postby ChrisG » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:48 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:A good round of some nice hills!

Assuming you went up Y Garn first and descended after Elidir? If so, there is a path more or less on the line of your descent route - a narrow trod, not easy to spot, but it weaves its way easily through some fine scenery including the Mushroom Garden. There are the remains of a molybdenum mine there.

IMG_0545.jpg

If you are around that area again, it's worth going on to Carnedd Y Filiast, if only for the sight of the bizarre Atlantic Slab with its regular "ripples" and quartz veins - similar in angle and scale to the Beinn Trilleachan slabs, but seemingly less well known.

Tim

Thanks Tim

Thats roughly the way we came off the hill and it was fine for a while there was a very faint path but this disappeared. I wanted to go onto the next top myself but my partner was struggling a little with her knees so we missed it out. Next time perhaps
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland