walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A small part of the South Downs Way...

A small part of the South Downs Way...

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Date walked: 07/06/2019

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 45.4 km

Ascent: 1259m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Duncan had proposed doing an overnight (or 2 overnights) MTB trip along the S Downs Way, and the plan had been in gestation for quite some time, for it needed to fit in with his holidays. We eventually fixed on the 4th – 6th June, and I would take my bike on the train down to Hove and back.

Unfortunately I started to develop a bit of sore troath before a couple of days before... ... but it didn’t feel too bad and I thought I would be OK.

However, cycling to station on Tuesday morning I felt much more out of breath than usual. But I didn’t heed the warning signs… :(

Getting to Hove involved 4 changes of train; but to my surprise it all went perfectly satisfactorily, and I got to Duncan’s place at around 14.30. There was no great hurry since rain was forecast up to 18.00. The plan was to cycle as far along the SDW as I felt well enough to go.

I had no packs for the bike, so I was planning to carry my gear in my rucksack - I thought this would be OK, since I was using my relatively new superlight gear…
Sleeping gear weight saving (red).jpg

But the pack was feeling heavy and quite uncomfortable when I was cycling.

Fortunately, Duncan had a spare large saddle bag into which I could pack some of the heavier stuff, and once I’d also divested myself of various things I’d brought down to his place, but didn’t need for the cycling part of the trip, the sac was MUCH lighter, and really quite comfortable.

Duncan had ALL the right gear :D ...
D1 (red).jpg

We took the train down to Eastbourne, where we planned to start, and by 17.00 the rain had eased off a lot and was looking like it would stop pretty soon.

There was a heavy mist when we started...
D3 (red).jpg

....but the route is well signposted,
D4 (red).jpg

...and anyway Duncan was pretty familiar with the route, having done it in the opposite direction. I had to dismount for steep parts of the path, but didn’t feel too bad provided I took it slowly.

And once we got away from the coast the mist cleared somewhat, and we were able to enjoy some excellent views of the countryside thereabouts.

The uphills were rather hard work...
thumbnail (9) red.jpg

...but downhills were a lot of fun, especially as they’re generally not so steep that one has to do a lot of braking.

We got to Firne around 20.45, and had a serious slap up meal. Plus a couple of halves of shandy
thumbnail (5) red.jpg

– which I’d probably have been better advised to eschew, given my bug.

Had to push my bike up most the hill back up on to the SDW.
The mist was now super-thick: visibility literally no more than 10 metres – I don’t think I’ve ever been in mist so thick. Duncan had found an excellent site – out of sight of both the SDW path, and the properties below the ridge. It took me about 2 minutes to prepare my sleeping quarters (basically just blowing up the three quarter length mattress, then slipping into the bivvy bag), while it took Duncan a little longer – but only 5 minutes or so – to get his (new, lightweight) tent up and ready. We crashed immediately - or almost immediately (perhaps Duncan should also have eschewed the third pint!!!).
thumbnail (4).jpg

I woke briefly in the middle of the night, to find myself staring up at a starlit sky – sea mist gone. I was toasty warm, and dropped off shortly thereafter, waking some little while later – around 7.00am – to see Duncan striking his tent.
thumbnail (3) red.jpg

Apparently there'd been a nice sunrise...
thumbnail (6) red.jpg

We breakfasted at leisure in the morning sun - here is Duncan engaged in that most critical of morning tasks: brewing the coffee!
20190605_074737 (red).jpg

It looked like it was going to be a great day
20190605_075434 (red).jpg

so we lingered a good while, listening to the ever-active skylarks and just chillin'.

Then we packed up and headed onwards.

And as soon as we started off, though, I knew I had a problem: I just felt as weak as a kitten. Duncan was very understanding, even though I had to push the bike up most of the hills. At least the downhills were fun!
And the birdsong was phenomenal: skylarks on the tops, and innumerable blackcaps in the wooded sections. This really does seem to be the year of the blackcap :-))).
We stopped for a coffee mid-morning, but when we restarted, I found it harder and harder. It’s bad enough with AF; but AF and a flu bug really don’t go together. In the end I couldn't even manage the mildest incline...
thumbnail (19).jpg

So by the time Lewes hove into sight (tee hee), I realised I would have to stop. So descended fast from the ridge (loverly!), and then pootled along the more or less level lanes to the town...
On the way Duncan was amused enough by this to take a pic...
thumbnail (20).jpg

After a leisurely lunch at the legendary Bill’s, we trained it back to Hove.

But I’d seen enough to want to have a go again when – ideally the AF is resolved but in any event – I’m not struggling with a flu bug.

Our savagely curtailed route...

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
thumbnail (5) red.jpg
20190605_074737 (red).jpg
thumbnail (19).jpg
thumbnail (20).jpg
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland