walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lake District: Dodd

Lake District: Dodd

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dodd

Date walked: 15/07/2019

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 420m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A short leisurely ascent from Millbeck. A rather more pleasant walk than my aged Wainwright indicated that it might be! Considerable, and continuing, felling of trees around the higher ground, and the establishment of some excellent footpaths higher up made the walk much easier than anticipated. The views from the summit are now excellent.

Dodd  web.jpg
View from the summit of Dodd

Most people, however, take the well-signed path from the dedicated Dodd Fell car park north west of the summit near Watch Crag.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 1.47 miles 2.36 km Ascent: +403m -18m Naismith: 1h 9m (From Millbeck to summit)
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Lake District: Dodd

Postby Apc303 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 pm

I did this one on Monday. I went with my wife and kid under the guise of going to the osprey viewing thing. We started to walk uphill from the first viewing platform but our 3yr old was pure "carry me", so I abandoned them and stormed off to the top by myself. Quick selfie then ran back down via what was marked as a track on OS but which had since overgrown. I got back to the car about the same time wife and kid got back (they had ice creams from the shop). My wife scowled at me for the rest of the day. Lost my softshell and cap too, probably in the carpark. :-?
Apc303
Wanderer

Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:17   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland