walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lake District: Eel Crag and the Coledale Fells

Lake District: Eel Crag and the Coledale Fells

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:59 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barrow, Causey Pike, Eel Crag, Outerside, Sail, Scar Crags

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Crag Hill (Eel Crag), Sail, Scar Crags

Date walked: 16/07/2019

Time taken: 9

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1188m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rather a rambling route undertaken whilst assessing a Duke of Edinburgh's Award Gold Expedition group. The aim was to walk up from near Stoneycroft, take in Outerside and then meet the group on the summit of Sail for lunch. In the event the group was a little behind schedule and I met them on the summit of Eel Crag (Crag Hill) and then walked with them to Sail (lunching out of the wind on the intervening ridge).
The group then dropped down into Coledale, whilst I walked along the ridge to the summit of Scar Crags to Causey Pike (from where I could observe the group) I then returned along the ridge, dropped down to Barrow Door and then walked over Barrow and dropped down into Braithwaite where I was able to briefly meet the group again as they dropped off the hills.

01 Above Stoneycroft web.jpg
Above Stoneycroft

02 Summit of Outerside looking towards Sail and Eel Crag web.jpg
Summit of Outerside looking towards eel Crag and Sail

03 Descending Eel Crag  web.jpg
Descending the ridge off Eel Crag towards Sail

04 Scar Crags and Causey Pike   web.jpg
Scar Crags and Causey Pike

05 Derwent Water from Causey Pike web.jpg
Derwent Water from the summit of Barrow

Rather a rambling route, but it was well suited to my purpose, and a very pleasant excursion on a fine day. I was actually out on the hill about 9 hours, but I spent a lot of time sitting around (goes with the role!)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 8.25 miles 13.5 km Ascent: +1188m -1226m Naismith: 4h 38m
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland