walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Galdhøpiggen, Norway, across a glacier.

Galdhøpiggen, Norway, across a glacier.

Postby mrssanta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:19 pm

Date walked: 06/08/2019

Ascent: 600m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Galdhøpiggen is the highest mountain in Norway and in Northern Europe at 2469 metres but in comparison with other mountains is not technically challenging. That suited us very nicely as we are not into technical challenges preferring to avoid the chance of falling off if at all possible There are two usual ways up. The easiest with only 630m ascent over 5km is from the north from Juvasshytta. This is the highest point reachable by road in Norway and there is a mountain "Hut" and summer ski centre there. However you have to cross a glacier (Styggebrean) to get to the summit. The other way is from Spiterstulen to the East at a height of 1100m making a climb roughly equivalent in height to Ben Nevis.
We decided to climb Galdhøpiggen from Juvasshytta and descend to Spiterstulen. It's not advisable to cross the glacier alone (crevasses and so on) and it's possible for 300 Norwegian Kroner (about £30) to join a guided group, which is what we did. Several other people had the same plan as we did. I'd really recommend this if you are ever in the area.
We'd been staying with our Number 1 son in Trondheim from which it is possible to reach Juvasshytta by train and two buses. Everything arrived on time, and seemed to work beautifully. We took a train to the town of Otta, a bus to Lom and then another bus (luxury coach really) to Juvasshytta. The road climbs up the hill higher and higher entering a strange land of black rocks and very little else. Juvasshytta is situated on a flat area at an altitude of 1841m next to a lake with a small glacier above. There is also a summer ski centre on another glacier but this was closed because of a lack of snow this year. We arrived about 2.30pm which gave us some time to explore - there is a boardwalk with interesting information boards in English and Norwegian telling about the flora and fauna and geology of the area and the difference between a glacier and a snow patch. We also learned that we were on permafrost, which I found very exciting. I've never knowingly been on permafrost before! We camped overnight on the rocks for a fiver each which allowed us use of the facilities. It was a friendly place where the staff were helpful and cheery.
P8053659.jpg
Juvasshytta and Galdhøpiggen from our tent

In the morning we joined a group of 50-60 people from about age 7 or 8 up and including several dogs. We were issued with chest harnesses and set off at about 10am from the lodge. The first hour or so takes you on a good path to the edge of the glacier where we had a short break while the guides spread out the ropes.
P8063668.jpg
looking back to the lake (Juvvatnet) and the little glacier

P8063682.jpg
dire warning about glaciers, the pictures say it all!

P8063685.jpg
Some seriously impressive cairn building.

P8063686.jpg
The guides spreading the ropes at the edge of the glacier

We were about two metres apart and about fifteen people to each of four ropes and were advised to keep the rope fairly tight. I didn't mind this as it meant Rudolph could pull me up, after all he is a reindeer so why not? We took a steady pace across the glacier and reached the other side after about 45 minutes.
P8063687.jpg
getting set up on the ropes.

P8063689.jpg
Couldn't take many pictures while crossing for obvious reasons but here is one

Crossing the glacier was a magical experience. There was no snow on it so it was relatively safe as all the cracks and crevasses were visible. Our guide told us under these conditions the ropes were mostly for group management to stop people wandering off too near the holes. I never expected the surface to be so variable and the place to be so noisy! There were little burns of meltwater which sometimes disappeared down cracks and at one point we could hear a roaring of some massive flow under the ice. I really recommend this and would do it again.
We continued attached to the ropes until everyone was off the glacier then left them stretched out to make it easier for the return journey. At this point we sat down and had picnics, before heading off in our family groups for the summit. Those of us who were continuing to Spiterstulen rather than going back the same way left our harnesses behind for the guide to take back on the way down. From here it was a steep rocky climb to the summit. True to form we reached the top about ten minutes after the clouds, but never mind.
P8063699.jpg
From this point it is 1km and 200 vertical metres to the summit. Our guide's PB was about 11.5 minutes, the record is less than 10.5!!!

P8063700.jpg
the Kellhaus Topp which we will cross on the way down

P8063705.jpg
One of Rudolph's cousins, we met two on leads coming down as we went up.

P8063706.jpg
Bit of weather coming in just as we approach the summit

On the top of Galdhøpiggen there is a little hut and a man lives there in the summer season and sells hot drinks and snacks. We did not go into the hut as we were anxious to get going down the other side.
P8063708.jpg
The summit hut

P8063710.jpg
Rudolph at this moment is the highest person in Northern Europe

P8063711.jpg
and it's my turn. 2469m, 8100ft

We were aware that there was a forecast of thunder in the early afternoon. The guide had told us that a thunderstorm would be the only thing that would make him turn back. It really did not look like a gathering thunderstorm but it arrived just as we did, and as we started to descend from the summit we heard a strange buzzing sound. It seemed to be coming from our rucksacks, or the tops of our heads. As we descended it went away. We realised it was static noise and hoped we were not imminently going to be struck by lightning! Apparently one of the guides carries a defibrillator, but we had left them behind! There were two further tops to cross before going down the mountain and as we climbed the second top the buzzing came back. We decided the best thing to do was to keep going as quickly as possible to get off the mountain, but as we descended the second top, we heard a distant rumble of thunder and we didn't hear the sound again.
P8063714.jpg
looking south from just off the summit over Svellnosbrean glacier towards our planned hike for tomorrow

There was a wee bit of glacier to cross at the third top - we could either cross it on a small shelf, which looked fine, or go up and round it, which looked like a lot of effort, and might involve getting buzzed again, which we really didn't want
P8063722.jpg
Looking back over the wee bit of glacier we crossed. Doesnt look as scary on the picture. it wasn't difficult, but it was a long way to fall!

After this we were really ready for a brew and some lunch so we got the kettle on and sat in the rain feeling pleased with ourselves and relieved to be alive!
The descent to Spiterstulen was quite hard work, all on boulders probably for 3/4 at least of the way, but the route was easy enough to find as every so often there was a red T painted onto a stone to mark the way. It cleared up shortly after our stop and we had stunning views in every direction. We took our time and enjoyed the views, stopping for another cuppa further down when we reached running water.
P8063727.jpg
looking South, sun now out again

P8063738.jpg
another striking cairn

P8063739.jpg
look for the red T

P8063740.jpg
reading the map. it's an excellent 1:50 000 map printed on waterproof paper. Beware though, contour interval is 20metres so everything is steeper than it looks!

P8063742.jpg
slightly drunk happy mugs

P8063743.jpg
Looking south to Urdadalen

P8063751.jpg
first view of Spiterstulen

P8063768.jpg
Flat ground at last! the bridge over the river at Spiterstulen.

There is a formal campsite at Spiterstulen but we decided not to stay there as there was a rather strong smell of drains coming from the toilet block. In Norway you can wild camp pretty much anywhere but at Spiterstulen if you camp within 1km of the lodge they will come and collect payment from you, so we headed south, up Visdalen, until we found a good spot where we were pleased to hit the sack ready for a good rest before a low-level walk the next day.
IMG_20190817_211756.jpg
photo of the map as I don't know how to make a gpx track work for Norway.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Galdhøpiggen, Norway, across a glacier.

Postby mrssanta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:31 pm

and some photos of various bits of plantlife that I didn't have room to include.
P8063663.jpg
Alpine mouse-ear (Chickweed) at out campsite at Juvasshytta

P8063732.jpg
Alpine buttercup. I read that the highest recorded examples of this plant are on Galdhøpiggen

P8063746.jpg
bluebell. they look so fragile but they aren't

P8063749.jpg
don't know this one

P8063750.jpg
I think this might be the flower of a bearberry

P8063752.jpg
Yellow mountain saxifrage

P8063753.jpg
Thrift

P8063761.jpg
wild delphiniums, about 60m above Spiterstulen

mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:35 pm

That looks great! I guess since the glacier was dry would have happily gone on your own?

If you want to post an online map, you can go here https://www.norgeskart.no and click on the menu at the top left which lets you draw tracks and generate links.

I think I can help with some of the flowers:

mrssanta wrote:don't know this one

That's alpine saw-wort

mrssanta wrote:I think this might be the flower of a bearberry

They are quite similar, but I think this one is cowberry.

mrssanta wrote:Thrift

I think that's actually alpine catchfly

mrssanta wrote:wild delphiniums,

and I think that's northern wolfsbane.

Looking forward to the rest of your trip reports - must get my ones of Norway done too!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 am

Looks an excellent adventure but I don't like the thought of that buzzing noise :crazy:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby scoob999 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Nice one :clap: Never been to Norway yet, but hopefully one day.
Did you know that it's an ultra prominent peak? And a fairly easy one by the looks of it 8) Added to our to do list.
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby mrssanta » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 pm

scoob999 wrote:Nice one :clap: Never been to Norway yet, but hopefully one day.
Did you know that it's an ultra prominent peak? And a fairly easy one by the looks of it 8) Added to our to do list.

I did read that after I got home. I m not sure I quite understand exactly what that means but it sounds good!
johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looks an excellent adventure but I don't like the thought of that buzzing noise :crazy:

no, me neither, especially since I have got home and read what we should have done, which I sort of knew anyway
jmarkb wrote:That looks great! I guess since the glacier was dry would have happily gone on your own?

If you want to post an online map, you can go here https://www.norgeskart.no and click on the menu at the top left which lets you draw tracks and generate links.

I think I can help with some of the flowers:

Thank you that was really helpful.
Having never been on a glacier before I was happy enough to be with a guide, the guide was really friendly and informative. and we booked in advance anyway!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby scoob999 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:39 pm

scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland