walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I can't Adam 'n Eve it!

I can't Adam 'n Eve it!

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:05 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Tryfan, Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 15/08/2019

Time taken: 7.35

Distance: 13.34 km

Ascent: 1364m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The massive advantage of staying with Malky’s friend Gordon by accident (in that we went over for tea and forgot to leave :lol: ) was that we got fed eggs on toast for breakfast as well as the obvious sleeping in a bed and not having to pitch a tent in the dark :roll: The downside was that we didn’t get such an early start as we’d hoped and it was 10.30 before we started walking. This was bad news as far as our deadline at the end of the day was concerned :roll:

We parked the car up and headed along a path which led us into a big pile of boulders…happy days :roll:
ImageAhead...

Boulders finally negotiated we climbed a stile and discovered that there was an easy path up the road that actually had steps. Doh :roll: Still….the views were nice 8)
ImageLooking back to Llyn Ogwen

There was no easy walk in on this hill – straight up smashing it in the face :lol:
ImageHeight gained fast

ImageMalky leads the way

Malky had been up this hill many times and I sort of assumed he knew where he was going :lol: As it turned out he largely did, although the stories of all the c*ck-ups he’d managed weren’t massively inspiring :lol:
ImageBumpy wee hills

As we climbed higher there was the odd hand needed here and there but by and large it was a steep walk with a sort of path the whole way
ImageLooking back down

Now on the ridge proper we could see the glen opening up before us – the bits of fluff up high were disappearing too and it was turning into a bonny day
ImageThe views open up

And then we climbed over a bump and were faced with the hard bit – looking ahead it was kind of difficult to work out where the route went :shock: I thought everything in Wales was easy :lol:
ImageAhead to the mental bit

And then I was set a challenge….
ImageThe Canon

I put one foot on it and went sliding on the slightly damp rock :lol:
ImageSlippery rock

Yes, I Jaxtered on the Canon. Sort of :lol:
ImageJaxter on the canon

Gulp…. :shock:
ImageOur route ahead

These hills looked great 8)
ImageY Garn

Reaching the base of the north ridge we were faced with a choice – the direct scramble or the round the corner route – both good routes but the scramble more exposed. I was all for the scramble but was slightly concerned about the slightly damp slippery rock. It’s no your nice grippy Skye gabbro :shock: We went up for a look and I managed to step on a wobbly rock which freaked me out. The round the side route it was then :roll:
ImageThe North ridge

It may have been less exposed but the route around the side wasn’t an easy option at all – there were several bits requiring a good deal of thought and the slightly greasy rock added an extra element of difficulty.
ImageLooking back

ImageWhere do we go now?

It chose this moment to cloud over which made it feel very atmospheric :lol:
ImageInto the mist

There were a couple in front of us that were making some of the awkward bits look a lot more difficult than they were :lol:
ImageLast wee bit

ImageQuick way down

We climbed higher and came out on a wee pinnacle with some great views to the East
ImageY Foel Goch

Malky then directed me up a seemingly impossible maze of boulders before setting off across them. “Are you sure” I asked into the ether? :shock:
ImageGlyder Fach now visible

It was another case of not-as-bad-as-it-looks and before long we walked in between Adam and Eve and were on the summit where there were plenty of folk all come up their own route. The views were definitely worth it
ImageY Garn

ImageGylderau

ImageLlyn Ogwen

A couple of lads arrived shortly after we did and one jumped the summit blocks – I was too slow with the camera and for some reason he refused to do it again so I could get a photo :lol: :roll:
ImageNaw I won't do it again!

ImageLooking through Adam and Eve

Looking down to the north summit – the route we would have come up if we’d scrambled direct
ImageNorth summit of Tryfan

ImageY Garn

We sat and enjoyed our sandwiches as it was definitely lunchtime, under the watchful eye of a giant seagull :shock:
ImageMental seagull

ImageOn top of Tryfan

I'll just have to come up again with the dry rock to do this on the top :lol:
ImageJaxtering on the almost summit

The summit was getting busier so we decided to get going
ImageLooking back up Tryfan

ImageY Garn

ImageBristly ridge

We actually made a bit of a mess coming off the summit – would have been easier sticking to the edge as we ended up crossing mental boulders and losing any sort of path. We eventually picked it up near the bealach as we looked up Bristly ridge
ImageBristly ridge ahead

Although the rock was probably dryer now, confidence was at a bit of a low so we bypassed the ridge and headed straight up. We were pushing for time too – we’d managed to push back dinner with Malky’s folks by half an hour but it was still going to be tight. A ridge for another day
ImageEasy way out

Looking back Tryfan had become a cone
ImageTryfan

Our route up wasn’t as bad as we had thought it would be – just steep really. The recent rain had stuck all the loose stuff together!
ImageY Foel Goch

We heard a thundering noise and could see a helicopter flying over Tryfan
ImageHelicopter over Tryfan

ImageGie us a ride?

As we neared the top the views opened out again
ImageY Garn

The summit of Glyder Fach looked like a giant had dropped a huge pile of boulders on it and it was a crazy maze to work our way through them
ImageAhead to the summit of Glyder Fach

I look so unimpressed by the amount of boulders :lol:
ImageThis is a look of pure hatred

ImageSummit of Glyder Fach

Look – Snowdon!
ImageSnowdon

ImageAlmost summit of Glyder Fach

Looking back to the mental pile of rocks
ImageLooking back to the mental summit of Glyder Fach

Onwards – we had to pass Castle in the Wind another made pile of rocks although at least we could go around this one :lol:
ImageCastle in the wind and Glyder Fawr

ImageThe Snowdon horseshoe

It was even more impressive from the other side
ImageCastle in the wind

From the bealach between the Glyders we could see across to the Carneddau
ImageCarneddau

We had thought to go down here but we were ok for time and wanted to carry on to Glyder Fawr
ImageA possible descent route

ImageCastle in the wind and Glyder Fach

ImageLlyn Igwal

Now we weren’t scrambling we were making much better time
ImageGlyder Fawr

I thought Glyder Fawr looked like something out of Mordor :lol:
ImageLooking back from Glyder Fawr

There were a couple of possible summits here as it was all wee piles of slatey nonsense so we climbed all possible options
ImageY Garn

ImageGlyder Fawr

ImageLlanberis

Looks a bit like Ben Loyal in the background – but what really caught my attention was the Snowdon train, kind of impressive that a train can get up there :lol:
ImageThe Snowdon train

I’d been eyeing up Y Garn all day and it hadn’t looked like we’d manage more than one Glyder let alone get that far. But all of a sudden we’d made some miles up. We reckoned we could probably manage it if we got a shift on…cue both of us making a mad rush down a big scree slope – actually Malky was the one to fall on his backside but I was too slow with the camera :lol:
ImageLlyn Y Cym and Y Garn

ImageThe Devils kitchen and the Carneddau

ImageLlyn Y Cwm

ImageY Garn

ImageBack to Tryfan

Although it was a decent amount of height to gain, the underfoot conditions were so easy compared to the rest of the day and we shot up it
ImageLooking back down the ridge on Y Garn

ImageTowards the summit

It wasn’t long before we were at the top and enjoying the views (but not the wind!)
ImageLlyn Ogwen

ImageTryfan

ImagePen Yr Ole Wen and the Carneddau

ImageThe Snowdon horseshoe

ImageY Garn summit

ImageBelieve it or not this was the best one....

ImageLooking down the glen

We now reckoned we needed to be back at the car in an hour – so off we went
ImageThe ridge continues

ImageTryfan, Llyn Igwal and Llyn Ogwen

ImageY Garn

About halfway down Malky ran off for the car – he’d make it down quicker than me and could save the 10 minute road walk at the end by running it. What a gent :wink:
ImageLlyn Igwal

ImageGlydder Fawr

ImageLlyn Igwal and the Devils Kitchen

By the time I made it to the lochan it was absolutely roasting – no wind and plenty of sun will do that without running down a mountain to boot :lol:
ImageLlyn Igwal and Y Garn

ImageWee ponies

I passed a family with a pushchair :lol: some impressive waterfalls and reached the road just as Malky pulled up with the car! Not quite an hour but not far off. We managed to get the tent pitched and both showered within about 20 minutes and were only 5 minutes late to the pub to meet Malky’s family. Not a bad effort :lol: 8)
ImageImpressive waterfalls

Tryfan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: I can't Adam 'n Eve it!

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:36 pm

A great read, and excellent preparation for this coming Thursday, when I plan to take my daughter and 2 grandkids up Tryfan.

Not sure they'll attempt the jump between Adam and Eve though :D .

PS a pity you didn't have time the scramble up the Idwal slab on your way back.... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Long long time ago when I was a boy and there W(h)ere Wolves in Wales (sorry can't help quoting Dylan Thomas - it's so evocative :D :D ) I did the Bristly ridge. I had a wonderful slide of a spiky rock covered in feathery ice crystals - it's gone now - but I seem to remember the ridge was "all mouth and no trousers" - so to speak :lol: :lol:
Just one slight typo. It's Idwal not igwal - I don't think the slabs would appreciate the change.
Have you read the famous ballad? https://www.monologues.co.uk/Sport/Idwal_Slabs.htm " steer clear of the places that sell you cheap braces and the fellow who uses soft soap"
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Jaxter » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:36 pm

Alteknacker wrote:A great read, and excellent preparation for this coming Thursday, when I plan to take my daughter and 2 grandkids up Tryfan.

Not sure they'll attempt the jump between Adam and Eve though :D .

PS a pity you didn't have time the scramble up the Idwal slab on your way back.... :D

Nice one - they'll love it 8)
Definitely one to return to - so many interesting bits :shock: :lol:

past my sell by date wrote:Long long time ago when I was a boy and there W(h)ere Wolves in Wales (sorry can't help quoting Dylan Thomas - it's so evocative :D :D ) I did the Bristly ridge. I had a wonderful slide of a spiky rock covered in feathery ice crystals - it's gone now - but I seem to remember the ridge was "all mouth and no trousers" - so to speak :lol: :lol:
Just one slight typo. It's Idwal not igwal - I don't think the slabs would appreciate the change.
Have you read the famous ballad? https://www.monologues.co.uk/Sport/Idwal_Slabs.htm " steer clear of the places that sell you cheap braces and the fellow who uses soft soap"

Never heard that before - that's hilarious :lol:
Looks like I don't need Malky to correct my spelling :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BigGaz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi,

Thought this was a great report, so in depth and informative, and looks like you both had a great time.

I've just finished the 3peaks challenge and really enjoyed Snowdon - definitely need to see more of Wales!

Thanks for the post. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gary
BigGaz
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 pm

that looked really smashing lovely views!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby mattcymru » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:56 pm

Stunning. but wee hills? if you fell 3000 feet u might change your mind!
mattcymru
Bird-watcher

Hewitts:6

Postby dav2930 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:12 pm

Great report of a classic round; really enjoyable stuff. Not everyone includes Y Garn, so that's a bonus. :D
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby goingforawii » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:43 pm

As always, a very nice read! :clap: Love Snowdonia, even if it can be rammed with people at times :lol:
goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland