walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The trials of hanging out with a Marilyn-bagger

The trials of hanging out with a Marilyn-bagger

Postby Jaxter » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:41 pm

Date walked: 14/08/2019

Time taken: 5.35

Distance: 21.06 km

Ascent: 1046m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wednesday 14th August 2019 - Moel Famau
11.98km
632m ascent
3 hours 25 minutes

We had initially been planning to stop off in the Howgills on the way down but it was still raining and the hills were hiding under many layers of cloud. A quick weather check suggested that by the time we got to Wales it would be marginally better, and so we ended up driving through Mold and up to the Moel Famau.

We found a place to get the car off the road and headed down the road before starting up a track. This led us through a field of cows. I hate cows, they’re huge :shock: We diverted a little to give them a bit more space
ImageAvoiding the cows

A field of sheep got Malky in a funny mood :wink:
ImageCaptions please....

Although it was dry here we could see that the worse weather was covering the higher hills
ImageSheep field - Malky's favourite

This track got very muddy very quickly but before too long we were out on fields and heading for a hill fort :shock:
ImageAhead to the hill fort

To avoid an extra drop down we tried to find a break in the bracken which led us out onto the better ground
ImageLooking back to bracken hell

Once up the worst of it we picked up a path which led Malky towards some of his sheepy brethren
ImageSheep on the run

ImageMalky looking very satisfied with himself

ImageApproaching squalls

I was promised paths – and yes, this just about counts but the wet heather was making my leggings and the tops of my boots wet and I was kicking myself for not wearing my gaiters (although I was melting anyway :shock: )
ImageA good path all the way I was told!

ImageInto the cloud

Eventually we hit the motorway that is the Offas Dyke path and this led us easily to the Jubilee Tower on top of Moel Famau – I’m sure most of the folk walking this route will pass this point without realising they’re on a Welsh Marilyn :wink:
ImageMoel Famau summit

It was cold and windy and damp and there were no views so we headed back along the path until it started to clear a bit
ImageSlightly brighter at last

ImageVery pretty heather so long as we don't have to walk through it!

ImageThe motorway that is the Offas Dyke

The motorway dropped us down on a wee road (with a bus stop!) which we crossed and headed up the other side towards Foel Fenlli
ImageThe route up Foel Fenlli

ImageMalky is scared of heather (or me)

ImageLooking back

ImageLooking towards Liverpool

We did realise we’d missed a trick :lol:
ImageLooks like we missed the easy way up!

And then we were there….
ImageFoel Fenlli summit

ImageSmashing views

ImageLooking back to Moel Famau

ImageThe way down

We followed a steep path down before picking up a nice easy one down the glen. We had to pass through another field of cows where this nasty big guy decided to follow us halfway across the field :shock:
ImageEvil cows

Then it was an easy stroll down the road back to the car. We picked up some supplies in Mold before getting fed by Malky’s friend Gordon whose wife makes a mean chicken fajita 8)

Moel Famau.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The next few days of walking in Snowdonia deserve reports of their own as we tackled Tryfan and the Glyderau the next day (spending Friday avoiding drowning on a good day for ducks) and then having a splendid day on the Carneddau on Saturday.

Sunday 18th August 2019
Great Orme
6.21km
264m ascent
1 hour 30 minutes

With high winds and rain forecast for Snowdonia and a long drive home we decided to break up the journey with some smaller hills. Our first stop, Llandudno. We parked up in the centre and headed through town and into the Happy Valley
ImageLooking back to the pier

ImageMight be time for some tobogganing on the way back

It was easy underfoot but as we climbed higher the wind was getting a bit insane…
ImageA final steep ascent

The views along the coast were stunning
ImageThe coast

ImageLittle Orme

We fought our way to the summit and it was definitely hold onto your hats weather :shock:
ImageSummit of Great Orme

ImageLooking South to all the hills

We popped into the café for some ice cream before braving the winds on the way down….
ImageTram

ImageGreat Orme Tramway

We took the road to save a bit of time on the way down – something about hills near towns that make people want to build on them :lol:
ImageSeafront

We were then reminded why we go on holidays away from people :shock: :lol:
ImageLlandudno beach

Then it was back to the car – plenty miles to go, but Malky wanted a new Marilyn :wink: :lol:

Great Orme.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mynydd y Cwn
1.49km
97m ascent
21 minutes

We parked up high on the road out of Cwm and enjoyed the only view we’d get :lol:
ImageThat hill looks more interesting!

I climbed a stile (Malky went through the gate next to it :roll: ) and up a steep track – this wasn’t what we bargained for :shock: Then we hopped another stile (no gate this time…) and onto a wee path which looked like it was going in sort of the right direction
ImageHeading up -this could get messy

Although we were fully expecting to spend several hours lost in a forest we managed to follow a simple few paths which led us to the summit of Mynydd y Cwm – a tiny wee lump with no views whatsoever
ImageMemorial on Mynydd y Cwm

ImageMynydd y Cwn summit

We carried on a short distance over another wee lump (the other “summit”) before the path dropped us down unceremoniously onto our outward track a little further along. An easy wander back to the car – easiest hill ever :lol:

Mynydd y Cwm.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Billinge Hill
1.38km
53m ascent
20 minutes

Another couple hours up the road and we were needing another break – Malky had been dying to visit Billinge Hill so I volunteered to come along :wink: Initially an easy walk along concrete but with some niceish views across fields
ImagePretty fields

ImageHeading up

The last wee climb got slightly wilder
ImageViews East

The summit wasn’t the most scenic of places :shock:
ImageLocal drinking spot

But the wind had dropped enough to get on the trig :lol:
ImageBillinge Hill summit

We could see the weather coming in so it was time for a quick march back to the car where we got back just as the spots of rain started to fall on the windscreen. More time driving to the start point than the hill actually took :roll: But always good to stretch the legs en route :lol:

Our other potential summit was ditched as it started chucking down with rain so we elected to stop for dinner at the duck pond services (Tebay) before getting back to Glasgow about 8.30 – definitely late enough as I was back to work early the next morning :shock:

Billinge Hill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: The trials of hanging out with a Marilyn-bagger

Postby malky_c » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:53 pm

To be honest, most of these hills (the ones on the way home) were your idea not mine :roll: :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 pm

Jackie
cows are lovely soft creatures but very CURIOUS. If they come towards you stop. They'll come to about 5ft away and also stop. Swiss cows are even more friendly: they will come right up and lick you - for the salt in your outer layers of clothing. If you run away from almost any animal it will run after you
Edit
if you want a really stunning Marilyn walk do The Lawley and Caer Caradoc - near Church Stretton in the Welsh marches -it's in "wild walks". twenty years ago there was a great pub in Cardington - But I don't know whether it's still there. I know that area quite well. Caer Caradoc is a hill fort where (allegedly) Charactacus made his last stand against the Romans
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby Sgurr » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:04 pm

WARNING From personal experience. There comes a time when you don't just hang out with a Marilyn Bagger, you ARE a Marilyn bagger. This time (much like the onset of dementia) is usually recognised by friends and family before you recognise it yourself.

Lovely report., but some of the pics :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: What did you put in Malky's water bottle?

Past-my-sell-by date.....I crawled up a lot of Caer Caradoc on hands and knees when we first got married as I was so scared of heights, but I didn't get any exemptions. I might go back now I can appreciate it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Graeme D » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Jaxter wrote: Malky had been dying to visit Billinge Hill

Perhaps Paul or Helen might be able to provide official confirmation, but I do believe that is a phrase that has never been posted on this site in all its years! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am

Sgurr wrote:WARNING From personal experience. There comes a time when you don't just hang out with a Marilyn Bagger, you ARE a Marilyn bagger. This time (much like the onset of dementia) is usually recognised by friends and family before you recognise it yourself.

Lovely report., but some of the pics :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: What did you put in Malky's water bottle

:lol: :lol: that’s a terrifying thought :shock:

Malky just has a weird face, it always looks like that :shock: :lol:

Graeme D wrote:
Jaxter wrote: Malky had been dying to visit Billinge Hill

Perhaps Paul or Helen might be able to provide official confirmation, but I do believe that is a phrase that has never been posted on this site in all its years! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby mattcymru » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:54 pm

That hill you said looked more intersting than mynydd y cwm.. i would highly recommend it!!!
mattcymru
Bird-watcher

Hewitts:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland