walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seeing Jack Sh** in the Lake District

Seeing Jack Sh** in the Lake District

Postby kmai1961 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:57 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Caudale Moor, Hartsop Dodd, High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), Kidsty Pike, Rampsgill Head, The Knott, Thornthwaite Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), Rampsgill Head, Stony Cove Pike (Caudale Moor), Thornthwaite Crag

Date walked: 23/08/2019

Time taken: 7

Distance: 18.2 km

Ascent: 1250m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst I’m ever so familiar with his Scottish cousin, Jock, I’ve spent a lot less time with Jack Sh** (credit to Jimmy for the clever name play). We got to know him far better than we wanted to, or had anticipated. The forecast—ALL forecasts, for that matter—were for “high pressure building, high temperatures; early morning cloud and mist burning off quickly.”

With impeccable timing, as I was contemplating what to do with such a marvellous weekend, “ping” came the text, wanting to know if I was interested in a Lake District wander. Perfect!

we parked here

and made a steep initial ascent up this hill (Hartsop Dodd)

for a short while, we had views like this

that far too soon became like this :roll: :roll:

and this :roll: :roll:

and this :roll: :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

After hours of seemingly random wandering, up to and down from seemingly random bumps of one classification or another, we began our descent, bidding a rather testy farewell to Jack, who’d decided to spend a few more hours up around 700m.

goodbye, Jack (we'd basically done a high-level circuit round this; Hayeswater)

PS We should *really* have taken the high road High Street, over Racecourse Hill, which is both a Hewitt and a Wainwright. In a WR filled with :roll: , I can but only say it once more. :roll:

PPS One more curious incident that bears mentioning: we'd met a few people on and off throughout (and it seemed that at least one of every party said "oh, it's going to clear up" :roll: :roll: ), when we reached the large cairn on High Raise, people started appearing out of the mist, from every direction. There must have been 15-20 people, and although there was one larger party of 5 or 6, all others were singletons or duos. We all converged on the cairn, said quick hellos and "where are you off to now"s, and went on our respective ways. When I glanced back, about 30 seconds after heading out, the summit was once again completely empty, the cairn slowly disappearing back into the mist. It was really odd.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland