walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Short Wanders in South Lakeland

Short Wanders in South Lakeland

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:09 pm

Date walked: 27/05/2019

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 825m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am well behind in my reports as can be seen from me writing a report from May while we are two thirds of the way through August. :roll: This family weekend away in South Lakeland seems quite a while back but fortunately the weather wasn't as hazy as my memories. Descriptions, as with the walks, will be short. :wink:

26th May 2019 Stickle Pike 4.5km 330m 2hrs

Stickle Pike stands quite prominent in views and is one of those fells that begs to be climbed. This is not really much of task as it is situated really quite close to the road which also give a good leg up its rather modest elevation. It was a very bright but very windy day as we struggled to get ready in the blasting wind before setting of up the short climb to the top. Although it is not a Wainwright, Stickle Pike is still obviously reasonably popular given the number of grassy trods that cover this small but very fine fell. Soon enough by following a combination of these we reached the top to take in the spectacular views and have a small snack. My decision to make this a bit more of a walk by taking in Tarn Hill and Great Stickle didn't, for whatever baffling reason :crazy: , go down well with Grace. The remainder of the walk was completed with an atmosphere not generated by the beautiful scenery or the weather which was a shame. To compound matters Grace slipped into a small hole and hurt her knee, which hasn't in truth, fully healed from being hurt while messing about at college. Oh well, at least our accommodation at the Saton Bridge Hotel was nice. :roll:

ImageLooking back down to Kiln Bank Cross by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross Dunnerdale to Harter Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCaw from Higher up by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBuckbarrow and Whitfell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNorth East from Stickle Pike Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Image....and to the West by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards Duddon Sands by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat Stickle and Tarn Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMy Companions on the Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDuddon Sands by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie and a moody Caw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEpic Hughie Pose by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back at Stickle Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTarn Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAway From It All by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTrig on Great Stickle by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat Stickle Mono by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreen and Pleasant Land by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat Stickle by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageStickle Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Stickle Pike.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

27th May 2019 Hard Knott Fort and Stanley Force

Day two was forecast more cloud and a chance at some rain so we headed off along Eskdale to have a good look at Hard Knott Fort. Ever one to be surprising Grace suggested, despite her knee still feeling a bit off we had a go at making our way up the crags towards Border End. We got so far up before her knee started giving jip again so we made our way down again and headed along along to the Woolpack for coffee and cake :D Although the drizzle had set in somewhat we parked up at Dalegarth Station and had a wander to Gill and Stanley Force waterfalls with the later being very impressive. Following dropping Nicola and Grace back at the Bridge Inn, me and Hughie popped back along the road to have a small jaunt up Irton Pike. A steep little climb lead to a surprisingly good vantage point with views up Wasdale and towards the Eskdale Fells. Not a bad day in fairness.

ImageLooking up the Pass from the Fort by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEnd of Empire by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGateway to the Hills by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down Eskdale from the Fort by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOutside the walls by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageIlluminated by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHard Knott Fort and Eskdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRugged Ridge to Harter Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie above Eskdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageContrasts by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRiver Esk by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Gill Force by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Invader by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Stanley Force by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way up Irton Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWest from Irton Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWasdale from Irton Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards Eskdale from Irton Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

28th May 2019 Caw from Seathwaite, 6.5km 495m 3hrs

With Graces knee playing up she decided to stay with the car at idyllic Seathwaite and do some home work for her upcoming exams. With this in mind I chose a short route to take in the delights of another of the fine fells that missed out on the initial books in the fine pyramid shape of Caw. We headed up the Park Head Road initially before choosing to leave it for the old mind track. The views of higher fells and the wonderful Duddon Valley were quite superb on this track and it gives a nicely graded ascent to the old mine buildings at around 370m. The route steepens from here but soon Caw's wonderful summit comes into view. The 360 degree views are superb in all directions, a very special treat for what is a relatively low and easy to climb fell. We completed the walk by following AWs route from the outlying fells by taking in Pikes and Green Pikes (they do love a pike around here!). A nice relaxing weekend dodgy knees apart.

ImageWoodland at Seathwaite by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAlong the Park Head Road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBrock Barrow and the Park Head Road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards the Eskdale Fells by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back down the Old Quarry Track by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTop of the Quarry Track by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back Across Dunnerdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDuddon Sands by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEskdale Skyline from Caw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSummit of Caw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageViews to the West by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards the Coniston Fells from Caw Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNot sure about this dad... by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back at Caw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWhite Pike and Pikes by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA shadowy Caw from Pikes by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWest from Pikes by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDunnerdale and the Eskdale Fells from Green Pikes by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageScafells Close up by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back up to White Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlooming Marvellous by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Caw.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Short Wanders in South Lakeland

Postby trailmasher » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:39 pm

What a fine report on some fine little fells there Anthony :clap: :clap: Brings back memories of my great wanders over them. You managed to walk them in superb weather whilst when I was there it was quite dreary with a thunderstorm thrown in :? Once again some great shots of this beautiful area :clap: Pity about Grace having the accident :( but on the good side she is old enough to be left to her own devices therefore letting you get out and about :)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks for posting this JK; it's reminded me that here are two fine Lakeland hills, Caw and Stickle Pike, that I've actually never been up! I Could never understand why AW didn't include them in the Southern Fells. I really must take a trip over to the Duddon and walk these two.

Some very fine photos, as ever - and some particularly good ones of Hughie, I thought. 8)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Great area - well out of the hubbub of the central lakes. Have you done Roger Puttnam's walk (in Richard Gilbert's "Wild Walks)" from Harter Fell to Black Combe? Yoiu really need two cars as it's 21 miles I think and it's much best done going North as you're looking at the Lakeland hills most of the way :D :D :D
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:49 pm

trailmasher wrote:What a fine report on some fine little fells there Anthony :clap: :clap: Brings back memories of my great wanders over them. You managed to walk them in superb weather whilst when I was there it was quite dreary with a thunderstorm thrown in :? Once again some great shots of this beautiful area :clap: Pity about Grace having the accident :( but on the good side she is old enough to be left to her own devices therefore letting you get out and about :)

Thanks TM, always a pleasant surprise when some decent weather coincides with a pre-planned trip :D

dav2930 wrote:Thanks for posting this JK; it's reminded me that here are two fine Lakeland hills, Caw and Stickle Pike, that I've actually never been up! I Could never understand why AW didn't include them in the Southern Fells. I really must take a trip over to the Duddon and walk these two.

Some very fine photos, as ever - and some particularly good ones of Hughie, I thought. 8)

There is some great country south of the Walna Scar Road but these two fells have always had a draw for me as the must have two of the best summit views in the entire district. Hope you get the weather to enjoy them to the full. Hughie was in a good posing mood for once, normally he waits until I point the camera at him and speeds off :lol:

past my sell by date wrote:Great area - well out of the hubbub of the central lakes. Have you done Roger Puttnam's walk (in Richard Gilbert's "Wild Walks)" from Harter Fell to Black Combe? Yoiu really need two cars as it's 21 miles I think and it's much best done going North as you're looking at the Lakeland hills most of the way :D :D :D

Thank you I most certainly agree about the area, That sounds a fine wander indeed taking in quite a few fells I've yet to explore.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:42 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:[

Thank you I most certainly agree about the area, That sounds a fine wander indeed taking in quite a few fells I've yet to explore.

Yes you go past Devoke water which I find rather special - you only cross two roads - and you sure won't see many people :D :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland