walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lost in Bethesda!!!!

Lost in Bethesda!!!!

Postby PathfinderPaul » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewelyn, Yr Elen

Date walked: 31/08/2019

Time taken: 6.47

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 1039m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yr Elen & Carnedds.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had arranged to meet up with five friends at the far end of Bethesda village, but that is easier said than done. I should have remembered how difficult to navigate this village is :( Having gone round in a circle a couple of times I found a free carpark :crazy: However is was about a mile from where I needed to be & it was a good hike up hill. The others navigated much better than me & got much close to where the path up the mountain begins :clap: . Parking is very difficult on the narrow streets.
All set we managed to get on the path no problem & having had a night of rain we wondered what the stream crossing would be like? We all had pollybags and string just in case. here are a few of the pics crossing the stream which was not problem really :D
ImageCrossing Afon LLafar by Joan Howard, on Flickr
Imagestep out by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageA helping hand by Joan Howard, on Flickr
Once across we had a fairly easy walk across the moor to gain the ridge to ascend Yr Elen.
ImageCrossing the moor by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1885 (2) by Joan Howard, on Flickr
We decided to get to the beginning of the rocks & get out of the wind & enjoy the view before getting into the cloud.
ImageYr Ellen by Joan Howard, on Flickr
Once in the cloud and on the scree it was a steep climb to the summit, it would have been very slippery if we had reversed the route, as we had considered.
ImageYr Elen summit ridge by Joan Howard, on Flickr
Navigation became a bit tricky in the heavy cloud & we had to resort to the GPS to find the summit of Llewelyn
ImageCarnedd Llewelyn by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImagePathfinder finding the way! by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1848 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
Once we passed Llewelyn it began to clear we could have a look back where we had come from.
ImageTowards Carnedd Dafydd by Joan Howard, on Flickr
and admire the views :clap:
ImageLooking back by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1851 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
The ridge towards Dafyd was very clear & we all enjoyed being able to see something :lol:
ImageIMG_1854 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1852 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageView of our route by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageOnwards! by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1867 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1869 (2) by Joan Howard, on Flickr
The last summit of the day, well done team :clap:
ImageIMG_1877 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageSummit Dafydd by Joan Howard, on Flickr
Now for the descent to Bethesda down the boulder filed.
ImageDown the boulder field by Joan Howard, on Flickr
The sting in the tail for me was when we got back to the village :( The friends who had parked nearer to the mountain gave me a lift down to the main town, but it took us 20 minutes to find my car :shock: Its a maze down there!!! The moral is I should have put a "mark" on the GPS for the car :roll: Make sure you can navigate the village if you do this route :wink:
PathfinderPaul
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:123
Wainwrights:74   Islands:15
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland