walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

We've done it!, 214 Wainwrights all bagged up.

We've done it!, 214 Wainwrights all bagged up.

Postby martin.h » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Birkhouse Moor, Catstyecam, Helvellyn

Hewitts included on this walk: Catstyecam, Helvellyn

Date walked: 13/09/2019

Time taken: 5.3

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1030m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had planned this for a day in August, we had a room booked for a two night stay at the Premier Inn near Cockermouth all we needed was good weather. as is usually the case the weather was great during the week before our intended, as it got closer to the weekend the weather started to change from good to not so good, on this occasion it was the very strong winds forecast instead of heavy rain that kept us away, we cancelled the trip, we wanted a nice day for our last Wainwright.

We decided to cut a holiday in Scotland short and come home via the Lake District for a two night stay, our new date for our Wainwright completion was set for Friday 13th September, was that wise?, could that be a bad omen :shock: no, not a bit of it, this is how we got on :D

Our drive down from Scotland on Thursday 12th was in increasingly heavy rain, the further south we got the more grim it became, as we were driving down the A66 we couldn't see the mountains, Blencathra and Skiddaw were not there, they'd vanished, we could just make out half of Clough Head, the lower half :lol: further down Grisedale Pike, Newlands etc etc were hiding behind a veil of cloud, oh eck! had we done the right thing?

The forecast was for much improvement during the afternoon into early evening, as it turned out, that's just what happened, by the time we were having something to eat at t.time it had stopped raining and the clouds were breaking
up :D

Friday morning was as forecast, we woke to clear blue and a slight breeze, it was going to be a good 'un :D

After breakfast we set off for Glenridding, it was 07:35, we arrived in Glenridding at 08:15, it was quiet but even at this early hour the carpark was filling up.
Our planned route was Birkhouse Moor, Striding Edge, Helvellyn, Swirral Edge leading to our final Wainwright
Catstycam :D

We set off from the carpark went over the bridge and walked up the lane beside Glenridding Beck heading in the direction of the campsite and the main path up into Little Cove alongside Mires Beck.

This is a good path, pitched all the way until the wall is reached at around NY371160

Then it turns into a steep fairly loose trod up alongside the wall, levelling off just before the summit of Birkhouse Moor.

We were taking our time, happy that we had managed to get to this stage of our Wainwright journey on such a nice day, at the summit we could see our route all the way round, I took a few photo's, there was a bit of cloud bubbling up but there was no doubt we'd get round without getting wet.

When we reached the start of Striding Edge we decided to give the crest a go even though a keen breeze had picked up,
Red Tarn looked inviting, I bet it's nice to camp nearby

when we arrived at the memorial near High Spying How we put our gloves on, that breeze was quite cold. We dropped down to the bypass path to get out of the wind and stayed on it until we reached the bad step.

We've done Striding edge a few times but can never remember much about the bad step, from above it looks interesting, when you're coming down it there's no problem at all, the holds are good, in fact, its like a stone stair case if you get the right line, if not you can make it up as you go along and still not put yourself at risk, it's good fun in the dry, it might be a different tale in the wet tho', the rock is well polished so care would be needed.

From the bottom of the bad step the climb on to Helvellyn is fairly steep over rock and scree, once above this it's an easy yomp to the summit with spectacular views of Striding Edge behind you, from this angle it does look very entertaining :D

There were a few people on the summit, not as many as I thought there would be but it was still reasonably early so I guess it would get busier a little later on.

Our last one from the summit of Helvellyn

The views were a bit muted by the cloud layer, a few of the distant fells were cloud capped, the Scafells and Buttermere fells were which was a pity, but, at least, we were below any cloud :D

We walked round to the trig point and then headed for the top of Swirral Edge.

From the top, Swirral Edge looks interesting.

It's not to be taken lightly, it may not be as long and exposed as Striding Edge but it is steep and loose so it has its own character, one misplaced foot or a trip could be nasty, we descended carefully, giving it the respect it deserves.

Once off Swirral Edge the path levels off, Catstycam is straight ahead,

We hoped there would be someone up there to take our photo, we could see a couple going up so we increased our pace and hoped they were still there when we arrived at the summit
We had planned to reach the summit together, all through this campaign with all the "catch ups" and the mutual new ones I've wanted us to finish the Wainwrights together on the same day on the same hill at the same time, hand in hand, that's exactly what we did, that in itself justified all the planning, the getting wet and being "misplaced" on occasion, all the huffing and puffing, the good weather days and the excellent views, (when we got them :lol:) the mileage put on the cars we've had to take us to our start points, it's a good feeling when it all comes together, we got to the summit as we wanted and the couple were still there so, icing on the cake and all that, we even managed to get one of those rare photo's of us together on a summit :clap: :D eee, bloomin' 'ummers, who said Friday the 13th was unlucky :wink: :D :lol:

We spent time talking to the couple, they were users of walkhighlands and recognised us from our walk reports, they congratulated us which was nice, I should have got their names but, if you're reading this, thanks again and good luck in your Wainwright collecting.

We were joined by another couple who were interested in our day, we swopped photo taking duties, I took a couple of them with their camera and they returned the favour for us with mine so, two sets of piccies of M&D on our final Wainwright.

We had to set off down though so off we went, down the front of Catstycam to join the path along side Red Tarn Beck.
Lower down we stopped to have lunch beside the beck, reflecting on our day.

Lunch spot view of our last Wainwright.

Then the question arose, "what are we going to do now"?, we decided not to pressure ourselves and do another round, I think we're going to visit the Howgills, we've driven past them loads of times heading north on the M6, they look interesting so I think we'll concentrate on them for a while, now we can choose any mountain in the Lakes and not think we should be doing the ones we haven't, there's the outlying Wainwrights they'll take us to the less frequented parts of the Lakes and then there's the Dales, we've done a lot around the Dales but there's still enough to do to keep us amused, even a lot of the Donalds are within reach, it looks like the car isn't going to get any rest :lol:

After lunch we set off back to the car,

Descent views.

Arriving at the carpark 5 and a half hours after setting out, we now belong to the "214 brigade" as I call the Wainwright completers and we're very happy to belong to that.

No more Lakeland red ballons, excellent :clap: :D :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: We've done it!, 214 Wainwrights all bagged up.

Postby Sgurr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 am

Very well done. It's not unusual to find people who will take a photo in The Lakes if you hang around for long enough. If you try the Donalds next, as long as you leave a fairly popular one for the last, you could be lucky there too. (We were). Wise to leave Scotland. I went to a Munro compleation on Saturday, and 14/40 actually made it to the summit in what was probably a 60mph wind.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Congratulations and that looked like a brilliant way to finish off.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Congratulations. Nice to complete with such a classic round as that. Glad you got good weather for it, too. :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby trailmasher » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Well done M & D on a superb finishing round of the Wainwright's :clap: :clap: and the Howgills are a good choice of next on list of hills to walk as they are great hills with many ways to go 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby David232 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Well done for completing your round. :clap: A great way to finish on what was a fantastic Lakeland day. Actually, this is "well done" a second time: I took that first pic of you both on Catstycam and that's us heading off for Swirral Edge. Nice to bump into you and share your moment.
David232
Mountaineer

Munros:69   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:102
Wainwrights:153   Islands:10

Postby martin.h » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:09 pm

Sgurr wrote:Very well done. It's not unusual to find people who will take a photo in The Lakes if you hang around for long enough. If you try the Donalds next, as long as you leave a fairly popular one for the last, you could be lucky there too. (We were). Wise to leave Scotland. I went to a Munro compleation on Saturday, and 14/40 actually made it to the summit in what was probably a 60mph wind.

Hi Sgurr, I agree, there's always somebody on the mountains willing to help out, if I see anybody taking photos I like to offer to take one of them on the summit with their camera.
It's good to finish a round of any tick list, it is an achievement, the Munro compleation you were part of, it wasn't by any chance on the Victoria Bridge munros was it? we met a group of people at Bunroy last Wednesday afternoon planning to do them as part of a compleation party on Saturday, they were a bit unsure of the forecast, especially the wind :shock:

Gordie12 wrote:Congratulations and that looked like a brilliant way to finish off.

Thank you Gordie12, we're glad the weather played ball for a change, we had planned to do the ridges a while ago thinking it would add that little bit more to our final one, we'd been watching the forecast all week and couldn't believe it stayed the same, I think the weather gods were on our side, that makes a change :lol:

dav2930 wrote:Congratulations. Nice to complete with such a classic round as that. Glad you got good weather for it, too. :clap:

Thank you Dave, It's nice to have that 214 on my Wainwright tally, I think I must hold the record for the longest time taken to do a round, my first one was Helvellyn via Striding Edge on a school trip in 1975, my last, on the same round, was this one, I'm taking "not in a hurry" to the extreme :lol: :lol:

trailmasher wrote:Well done M & D on a superb finishing round of the Wainwright's :clap: :clap: and the Howgills are a good choice of next on list of hills to walk as they are great hills with many ways to go 8)

Thank you trailmasher, I like the look of the Howgills, I've a few friends who say you can wander round them and cover a lot of tops without too many ups and downs, I've had a look at the map and have a few routes planned, I'm just a bit concerned about parking the car and not getting in anybody's way. :problem:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby martin.h » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:23 pm

David232 wrote:Well done for completing your round. :clap: A great way to finish on what was a fantastic Lakeland day. Actually, this is "well done" a second time: I took that first pic of you both on Catstycam and that's us heading off for Swirral Edge. Nice to bump into you and share your moment.

Hi David232,

It was nice to meet you and thanks again for doing the honours with the camera, we're going to have a scurry around the Howgills soon, there's 26 tops to aim for so that might be our next "tick list" over the winter/spring, and some of the Donalds aren't a million miles away from us so we might have a go at the southern ones for starters, there's lots to do, we'll be kept amused for a while, that's for sure :lol:

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Yes, it was Clive's completion near Victoria Bridge. See malky's report. He , as one might expect, got to the top with 13 others. We didn't.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 am

Very well done to you both. :clap: :clap: A great walk to finish on and a beautiful top in the shapely form of Catsycam for number 214. The Howgills are very nice and also very quiet if you can get there mid week.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby martin.h » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:27 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Very well done to you both. :clap: :clap: A great walk to finish on and a beautiful top in the shapely form of Catsycam for number 214. The Howgills are very nice and also very quiet if you can get there mid week.

Thank you Anthony, it'll be nice just to pick and choose now what we do in the Lakes, personally I think we'll concentrate on the least visited fells when we come up next, I quite enjoyed our little forays into the Northern Fells for example.
I've been researching the Howgills, it looks like there are about 30 main tops to visit, I'm looking forward to planning days out and linking a few together at a time :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland