walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norway: Kattanakken - ridge and glacier hike (with video)

Norway: Kattanakken - ridge and glacier hike (with video)

Postby Karl Brobakk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Date walked: 08/07/2019

Time taken: 9

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Why do this hike?

This is one of the best hikes I have done in Norway. The scenery is amazing from 5 minutes into the hike and all the way until you get down, which will be the same way as you hiked up. In addition to hiking back the same way, the fact there are some partly difficult scrambling sections on this hike might want some people think twice about doing this hike.

This hike starts close to the Briksdal glacier where a lot of tourist go, but soon departs from the main trail after it has passed some impressive waterfalls. Then you gain a lot of elevation until you get great views of Olden lake and the fun starts with some more elevation and even better views since you now see glaciers all over the area. When you get to the ridge, which is wide, you have awesome views that you should take in before heading down again.

Feel free to check out my video from when I did the Kattanakken hike to see what it is like :)

Karl Brobakk

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland