walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five Lakes Walk, Zermatt

Five Lakes Walk, Zermatt

Postby maxie23 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:53 pm

Date walked: 04/09/2019

Time taken: 5

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 531m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another beautiful day in Switzerland, clear skies and no wind.
Had a hearty breakfast in the hotel and made my way down alongside the river Vispa, which runs through the centre of Zermatt and arrived at the station for the Zermatt to Sunnegga funicular railway.

Funicular Railway Station Zermatt

I purchased a return ticket to Sunnegga, 12 CHF with a Swiss Travel Pass.
You can pay extra for the cable car ride from Sunnegga to Blauherd and begin the walk from there if you wish, it cuts out a bit of ascent.
There are only two railway cars on this track, as one ascends the other one descends on a single track with a passing loop in the middle of the tunnel.
The journey only takes 4 minutes, so you don't have to wait long for the next train.

Waiting on a train.

Here it comes, all aboard.

The journey up is over before you know it, ascending 2,300 feet inside a tunnel through the mountainside.
You can walk up if you fancy a stroll up the hillside.
At Sunnegga I had a walk around the terrace and restaurant and admired the views.

Matterhorn from Sunnegga

Matterhorn zoomed in a bit.

Terrace with the Rothorn above.

View down to Leisee, which is actually the last lake on the walk.

From here, I followed the path signposted for Blauherd, which, according to the sign, should take around 50 minutes.
It is quite a steep climb at times with a little bit of exposure but it is along a clear track up the hillside.

View back down to Sunnegga.

Path up.

Alongside the path at regular intervals there are wooden carvings of the various types of animals which make this place their home.
They are beautiful pieces of work and each has its own information poster below it.

Wooden carving.

The cable car station at Blauherd appears above, it did take about 50 minutes walking to get there.

Blauherd cable car station above.

The path turns away to the right just beneath the cable car station and there are plenty more wooden carvings to admire.

Hello marmots, hello Matterhorn.

More marmots.

Once past the cable car station you get an idea of the gain in altitude from the start at Sunnegga.

Long way down.

Fantastic views from up here.

Breithorn and Klein Matterhorn.

View down to the lake at Mosjesee.

So many mountains

Have a seat and take it all in.

Next on the agenda is Stellisee Lake.

Stellisee Lake

Stellisee Lake 2

This is the highest lake on the on the walk and if you want you can head downhill from here to the next lake.
I decided to continue uphill as I wanted to have a look at the Findel Glacier.
On the way you pass the Fluhalp hotel, if you fancy a nice cold drink.

Fluhalp hotel, Stellisee Lake in background.

Once past the hotel it is only a short walk up a steep rise before you get a proper look at the glacier.

The steep rise before the glacier.

The view from the top of the rise, what can I say.

Fantastic.

The view back down.

I sat up here for quite a while, it was the only part of the whole walk where I was completely alone.
It was such a wonderful place.
You follow the track back down past Stellisee Lake and then watch out for the cut off to the left, follow the sign for Grindjesee, the second lake.
You are walking on a hard surfaced track, downhill with lots of great views around.

Nice waterfall.
And again.

Just before the lake, you can leave the track and follow a nice little path down to the water.

Lake Grindjesee

Leaving the lake just follow the track, it is signposted for Gruensee.
After about half a kilometre, there is a path that leaves the track on the right, a nice little shortcut and it always feels a bit nicer underfoot to be off the hard track.
Gruensee was my favourite lake.
It just seemed a bit more scenic than the others.

Lake Gruensee.

Doggy paddle

Man with red speedos on, he doesn't care.

Leave the lake and follow the signs for Mossjesee, the path takes you past a lovely looking restaurant Ze Seewjinu mountain lodge, it looked very nice and was doing a brisk trade.

Restaurant.

The path cuts of to the right here.
After about a half kilometre, watch out for a sign on the left for Mossjesee, follow this path and you descend on a series of steep switchbacks, cross over a deep stream on a bridge and then down to the lake at Mossjesee.
Out of all the lakes, this one really looks man made, still picturesque but a bit artificial looking.
Cracking views all around it.

Water inflow at Lake Mossjesee

Lake Mossjesee

From here it is back uphill towards Sunnegga on a lovely little path.

Path to Sunnegga

And again.

Lake Leisee is the last of the five and it sits just below the start of the walk at Sunnegga.
It has various beach areas, sun loungers and a children's play area.
It also had fantastic views behind it.

Leisee

You can continue walking all the way back down to Zermatt if you wish but I was taking the easy option and catching the train.
I really enjoyed this, weather was great and the views were amazing.
This was my last day in Switzerland, I was flying back to Scotland the next day.
I had to take one more photo of my favourite mountain, to join the other 70 or so already in the camera.

Goodbye Matterhorn, for now.

Map of route.

Five Lakes Walk.jpg
Five Lakes Walk
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Five Lakes Walk, Zermatt

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:42 pm

Nice pics - though in September you've missed out on all the alpine flowers that add so much to it
Horrified that you titled the glacier "fantastic" . "Shocking" is the word I'd use. :( :( :( This is the same place 17 years ago :D and I guess a hundred years before that the ice would have been right up to the top of the moraine
Your pic was taken from somewhere a fraction R of centre
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby maxie23 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:34 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Nice pics - though in September you've missed out on all the alpine flowers that add so much to it
Horrified that you titled the glacier "fantastic" . "Shocking" is the word I'd use. :( :( :( This is the same place 17 years ago :D and I guess a hundred years before that the ice would have been right up to the top of the moraine
Your pic was taken from somewhere a fraction R of centre

past my sell by date
Thanks mate.
I must admit I had read a little bit about the effects that global warming is having on glaciers but your photo really was a shock to me.
I can't believe the difference in only 17 years, it is staggering.
What will it look like in another decade, will it just be a big gash in the hillside, like a dilapidated quarry.
This is so sad. :(

Regards.

Robert
maxie23

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:43 am

maxie23 wrote:past my sell by date
Thanks mate.
I must admit I had read a little bit about the effects that global warming is having on glaciers but your photo really was a shock to me.
I can't believe the difference in only 17 years, it is staggering.
What will it look like in another decade, will it just be a big gash in the hillside, like a dilapidated quarry.
This is so sad. :(

Regards.

Robert

Yes the Valais is particularly badly affected as it's in the rain shadow of Mont Blanc and has a warmer and drier climate than (say) the Oberland. it's estimated that by the end of the century almost all the glaciers will be gone
Have a look at this - particularly the section around the last but one pic - unbelievable
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=83804
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby maxie23 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:57 pm

past my sell by date.

I think you summed it up perfectly in the title of your report " Brittania hut - a depressing outlook ".

This was my first trip to the Alps and I had no real point of reference when I was looking at views.
When I was sitting on the edge of the moraine at the Findel Glacier I also took these two photos.

I did think at the time that it resembled a huge quarry, but I was also looking up at the surrounding peaks at the time, maybe through rose coloured glasses.

Regards

Robert
maxie23

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland