walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rundfjellet, Norway

Rundfjellet, Norway

Postby jmarkb » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Date walked: 20/07/2019

Time taken: 4

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Picked this one as an easy half-day outing: the forecast was a bit dubious and Gillian wanted a proper rest day, so I went out on my own. The route starts from the end of a side road off the E6 at the Øse campsite, initially following a marked track through the woods. I was not sure if there would be any path up the hill, so I stuck with the waymarks until they crossed a marshy area close to Litjevatnet lake. There was no sign of a path heading towards the hill, so I made my way across some glaciated slabs and up through some trees, which was a bit steep but not too bad. Once out of the trees, I followed a slabby rib, looking for the best route through some outcrops higher up: there always bit of excitement setting off up unknown terrain! I settled on a line between two obvious streams, which turned out to go pretty easily with only a tiny bit of easy scrambling. When I reached the shoulder of the hill I built myself a small cairn to make sure I got the descent line right. The next section was covered in snow, which was surprisingly firm after the warm weather of the previous couple of days, so I picked a line that avoided the steeper bits. A willow grouse with a clutch of chicks did a broken wing act as I passed them.

Once off the snow there was a just a pleasant stroll across some easy rocks and turf to the summit cairn. Despite the general cloudiness, the views were quite good, with a fragment of a rainbow over the island of Andørja. After a leisurely lunch break, I went back down the same way, taking care on the snow and kicking over my cairn once I had relocated my line of ascent. It would be feasible to make a longer trip by including Lofttinden, and heading north to pick up a branch of the initial path, but with good timing, I reached the end just before a shower of rain came on.

Online map

Looking back down towards the start: Spanstinden and Høgtinden in the distance.

Waterfall on the way up.

Leigastinden (right) and Rivtinden (centre)

Rainbow over Andørja

A patch of sun on Nonstinden

Lofttinden
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland