walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black Fell,Grey Nab and Melmerby Fell

Black Fell,Grey Nab and Melmerby Fell

by PauloUK77 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Black Fell, Grey Nag, Melmerby Fell

Date walked: 22/01/2011

Time taken: 6

Distance: 22 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Black Fell,Grey Nab and Melmerby Fell

Postby colgregg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:16 pm

It was tough and I too was swearing. Fortunately there was no one else daft enough to be up there so no one to offend. You could knock 3 near Hawes off rather easily if driving. Gt. Knoutberry, Dodd Fell and Drumaldacre all within spitting distance of tarmaced roads. I can't really say any of them warrent the effort of a planned walk although Drumaldacre Via the Roman road from Bainbridge and back via Semerwater could make for a reasonable day.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby PauloUK77 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:30 pm

I may be going to the Yorkshire Dales 3 or 4 times this year so there is a good chance I will do some of these.I bought a couple of Cicerone books for the Yorkshire Dales which are pretty useful and full of information.
Do you get out there often living on the doorstep?
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby colgregg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:46 pm

More and More as petrol prices bite. Ive actually spent many days over the last year or so scouring the hills and valleys of Swaledale and Wensleydale to photograph as many of the waterfalls as I can, and theres a lot of surprisingly decent ones too. Hence the reason for me ending up at places like Widdale Fell. I'm running out of new places to go in the area so I'll have to think up a new summer campaign. The upside of solo walking is that you suit yourself as to what you do and how you do it. The downside is you have to pay for it all yourself. Just getting to Buttermere and back can cost upwards of £25 a time so it's not the kind of thing I can be doing every other week. I might actually make to make friends with people and go as a group as a last resort.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby PauloUK77 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 pm

I know the petrol prices are really hitting me for the fact I have a long way to go to get to any hills.The Peak District is on my doorstep but that is still 60 to 70 miles away.I walked in the Peak District often when I lived in Nottingham so I have done most of it.
Thumbing my way is an option. :lol:
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby tango » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Colgreg, i was reading your item on the fuel prices, i know what you mean there..but what i do is hit the hills in 2 day stints..i bought the smallest cheapest camper van in the world, but it has paid for its self 10 times over!! you can have brew "2 ringed cooker", lights, fridge, all that good Army stuff...knocks spots off camping... :D the dogs love it too im sure, when im driving around in it they get to spread out....its the way ahead... :D
tango

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Thats what I do Tango head off usually for at least 2 days at a time.I have been booking into Travelodges lately in advance its £19 a night or sometimes as low as £9 a night during their sales.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Postby colgregg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 pm

I am hoping to get off camping for a few weekends this year thus gettin my 2 days at a time.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby tango » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Thats a good idea, the old travel lodges..beats the camper van...mind you i get some mega early starts,& a wee more adventure..im doing Scotland in the summer i get 5 weeks off work "hooray". so im hitting the highlands in the van with the mutts in tow,"well not literally"... looking forward to it big time :D
tango

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Paulo thats not a bad price when compared to what you can pay on a campsite but I think I'll stick to the tent. Its the price of fuel (or should that be fuel duty?) at the moment thats affecting my plans. Tango do you have an HGV licence?, bring yourself a tanker full back - you might be able to retire early!
fedupofuserids

Postby threya » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Fiend's Fell? oo-err! Did you meet any?

Tango - I'd like a campervan but can never afford one. What is your 'smallest and cheapest camper van in the world?' is it French? All the small ones seem to be - and I won't buy French!
threya

Postby monty » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Yes Threya,
The cheap ones tend to be french or german :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 pm

Bedford Rascal ? Always fancied one of those - many years ago !
fedupofuserids

Postby threya » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 pm

monty wrote:Yes Threya,

I don't mind German
threya

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 pm

monty wrote:Yes Threya,

Maybe French, the German ones seem a bit pricey for my wallet.
fedupofuserids

Postby tango » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:52 am

Hello Userids, & everybody.. Funny you say that i have HGV 1 "LGV+C" but my ADR licence has run out "dangerous goods licence" so no fuel sorry!!!! what makes laugh/sick,its roughly 30 odd pence a litre here...... :shock: work that 1 for yourself!!!..... & the old camper van is a mixed bag.its an Italian vehicle Piaggio i think!!! with a bedford Rascal type body...the living compartment is plastic, so when the vehicle part dies, take a few bolts out & just change the back onto a new vehicle that fits!!!!! :D .

its slow & quite noisy but that just adds to the adventure, ive had many people on the A1 pointing at the van!!! im not sure if they are laughing at me or with me!!!! :lol: but when you get to my stage in life!im not too fussed...so if you get stuck behind me in the Lakes im sorry in advance.... :D
Attachments
Mosedale,Lakes (3).JPG
Langdale,Lakes..JPG
tango

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland