walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Deadwater Fell (Kielder)

Deadwater Fell (Kielder)

Postby Christo1979 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Date walked: 12/10/2019

Time taken: 4

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 475m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Feeling gutted that a combination of illness, lack of time off from work, and issues with public transport all conspired to keep me away from my Donald-bagging mission AGAIN, I took up the offer to accompany a friend to Kielder this weekend. She was doing the 10k trail run, and I took the opportunity to get a bit of walking in.

A lovely clear day, cold and blustery on the tops, and with gorgeous (albeit frustrating) views across to Scotland and ‘Donald country’, this was the first walk I’ve ever done up Kielder Way, and I feel sure I’ll be back for more. A lesson learned on the descent from Mid Fell, however. Stick to tracks in the parks - for some reason I decided to go off piste straight down the (deforested) hillside, and after launching myself over a couple of high fences, and ending-up in deep machinery-chewed mud, questioned my sanity...

ImageWalking at Kielder by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: Deadwater Fell (Kielder)

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:44 pm

We spent a week in the summer of 2018 down in Kielder and I eyed this hill up a few times but never made it. If we ever return (which is highly likely at some point), I will make it a priority.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Deadwater Fell (Kielder)

Postby goingforawii » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:12 pm

Kielder is a wonderful place - all completely man made, but glorious. Kielder Water is about 26 miles round, so makes for a great jog. Some fantastic MTB routes as well.

Some nice photos - cheers! :)
goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland