walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sveti Ilija, Croatia

Sveti Ilija, Croatia

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Date walked: 18/10/2019

Time taken: 6

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 961m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst doing a wee bit of pre-holiday research for our recent family holiday to Croatia I found out that the highest point on the Peljesac peninsula, Sveti Ilija was right on our doorstep so thought it would be rude not to spend a day going up it and give the wife and weans peace to wander the town or enjoy the pool :lol: :lol:

10.17.19 014 Sveti Ilija from ferry.JPG
Sveti Ilija taken from Orebic-Korcula Ferry

On Friday 18th, after a good breakfast I set of from the hotel with a map I picked up from the tourist information towards the mountain. Our hotel, the Bellevue was at the far end of the towns seafront and their entrance was literally across from where the maps track started. The first 1 miles or so was tarred road that steadily climbed up to the Franciscan monastery. The view point from here provided great views over towards Korcula and the surrounding islands. The path was well marked with signs and red and white paint through out and about 3/4 mile past the monastery a right turn took me off the road and onto the track towards the mountain.

20191018_080003(0).jpg
Korcula

The path was pretty good as it wandered up through the trees occasionally coming out into the open allowing the now warming rays from the sun to pleasantly warming my back. The walk continued in a westward direction to just after where the route from Kuciste joins then turns up into a shaded valley hugging the hillside and steadily rising till it came into a heavier wooded area and round into a narrow wooded glen rising further towards the summit.

After a mile or so through the glen I eventually reached the Stara Lovacka Kucica, a locked up building in the middle of nowhere :crazy: The path followed along for a few hundred yards more up through the woods and it was back out into the open. The path gently climbed until the last couple of hundred feet where it became rocky but still very well marked. Not long before the summit I passed a few 3 sided rock enclosure that I wasn't to sure what the were although they did look similar to a pill box type barricade, possible a remnant from the Yugoslav wars in the 90's. A couple of minutes later I was on the summit where the views were amazing up and down the Peljesac peninsula, Korcula and the other Islands as well as the mainland proper and the few miles of Bosnian coast.

P1550121.JPG
Looking East along the Penisula

P1550122.JPG
Looking West along the Penisula

20191018_105713 (2).jpg
Wee pose at the top

After 15 minutes or so on the summit and a few photos I started my descent along the same route I came up and just at the pill boxes I met my first walkers of the day; A German couple then a little further down a father and teenage son from our hotel but suprisingly that was all for the whole day :shock: Soon I was back in Orebic just in time to phone the wife to bring me up a pizza!! :lol: :lol:
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:17   
Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland