walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

USA - Horseshoe Bend - Arizona

USA - Horseshoe Bend - Arizona

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Date walked: 16/07/2009

Time taken: 1

Distance: 2.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst living in the USA I took every opportunity to walk and saw some beautiful places. I thought I would share some of them on here (if there is any interest) I will upload more.

This is horseshoe bend close to the town of Page in Northern Arizona, it is a very short walk across the desert from US highway 89 to the rim. There is a car park beside the road for those seeking to visit the location.
The sand is quite firm underfoot leaving the car park Image
This being the desert, even on a very short walk you should always carry plenty of water. My shadow shows the additional bottles hanging from my belt. Image
The path meanders along still firm with occasional sandstone slabs, its early morning and still quite cool Image
The desert though seemingly featureless is still a beautiful place to walk, Image
now the anticipation of the view is beginning to build as I can see the canyon ahead Image
The rocks are covered in small lizards warming themselves in the morning sun.... do you see him??Image
My first shot is not the best but does give a glimpse of the incredible 1000ft drop Image
Having placed the camera on the rocks on a 10 second timer, I had to run around to this outcrop in order to appear all 'windswept and interesting' when the shutter clicked!! Image
And finally, having waited until almost noon to get rid of the shadows, the incredible beauty of Horseshoe bend is revealed

This is one of the shortest walks I have ever undertaken, but it is also one of the most memorable.
Last edited by ChrisW on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Horseshoe Bend - Arizona

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Looks gorgeous!!

If I wasn't scared of flying, Arizona would be fab :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: USA - Horseshoe Bend - Arizona

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:26 pm

What a stunning place 8) It's always good to get reports from abroad, and I'd be particularly interested in any from the USA - I'll be moving there at the end of this year.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Alastair S » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Gorgeous is certainly the word - or wow!

Saved the last shot till the end there - fabulous capture. Is it a stitch of several images or do you have a super wide angle? Whatever its a stunner :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 pm

HighlandSC wrote:What a stunning place 8) It's always good to get reports from abroad, and I'd be particularly interested in any from the USA - I'll be moving there at the end of this year.

Have got tons of photos from my time in the states, I stayed in 42 different states (including Alaska) over a 3 year period and I have to say that when it comes to outdoor life Southern Utah is the place to be. The Moab area is my favourite but anywhere south of Interstate 70 is an outdoor dream, I can't say too much about it. I have been to Miami, Vegas, Washington, the entire pacific coast highway from LA to Seattle, Niagara falls, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Colorado, Tennessee..... etc, but if I could only go to one place again it would be the Moab area of Utah, almost countless national parks & state parks, snow in winter hot as hell in summer it is truly spectacular.
At the end of this year I will be moving to Calgary close to Banff & Jasper National Parks and Lake Louise.... I think then I may find somewhere equal to Southern Utah but honestly doubt that I will ever find anywhere better. I will try to post a few Utah shots soon, have a great time in the states and if you have any questions about the move feel free to ask (I moved over there and then moved several times whilst there) Have a look around this site http://www.utah.com/
Are you heading to Texas by any chance.... I lived in Houston for a year may be able to help with info, feel free to PM me if you fancy more of a chat about the states.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby colgregg » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:42 pm

That last shot is absolutely beautiful what an awesome place that muts have been to visit. Is it geuinenly that green when seen with the naked eye?
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:51 pm

colgregg wrote:That last shot is absolutely beautiful what an awesome place that muts have been to visit. Is it geuinenly that green when seen with the naked eye?

It certainly is, well it was when I visited and I have seen many shots of it looking the same. It is actually an algae problem caused by lack of flow, upstream is the 2nd largest dam on the Colorado river (Glen Canyon Dam) which creates the incredible Lake Powell but unfortunately in doing so it reduces the flow of the once mighty river to a near trickle, the heat of the desert does the rest.
I have some shots of the dam and lake powell from a walk I did along the lake, will try to post soon.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:56 pm

I hope you manage to put up some more reports ChrisW :) Great place :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Merry-walker wrote:I hope you manage to put up some more reports ChrisW :) Great place :thumbup:

Thanks Merry-Walker, I loved my time in the states and made the most of it, I have tons of pics and will be posting more the next few weeks 8)
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Michelle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:42 am

I look forward to seeing them Chris. I love the western US, especially Arizona, and I haven't spent nearly enough time there! Hopefully I will rectify this in the next few years. Some of the landscapes can be quite surreal.
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 am

Michelle wrote:I look forward to seeing them Chris. I love the western US, especially Arizona, and I haven't spent nearly enough time there! Hopefully I will rectify this in the next few years. Some of the landscapes can be quite surreal.

Hi Michelle, funny you should use the term surreal - I've just been adding a new walk report which meets that description exactly. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9361
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:29 am

ChrisW wrote:
HighlandSC wrote:What a stunning place 8) It's always good to get reports from abroad, and I'd be particularly interested in any from the USA - I'll be moving there at the end of this year.

Have got tons of photos from my time in the states, I stayed in 42 different states (including Alaska) over a 3 year period and I have to say that when it comes to outdoor life Southern Utah is the place to be. The Moab area is my favourite but anywhere south of Interstate 70 is an outdoor dream, I can't say too much about it. I have been to Miami, Vegas, Washington, the entire pacific coast highway from LA to Seattle, Niagara falls, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Colorado, Tennessee..... etc, but if I could only go to one place again it would be the Moab area of Utah, almost countless national parks & state parks, snow in winter hot as hell in summer it is truly spectacular.
At the end of this year I will be moving to Calgary close to Banff & Jasper National Parks and Lake Louise.... I think then I may find somewhere equal to Southern Utah but honestly doubt that I will ever find anywhere better. I will try to post a few Utah shots soon, have a great time in the states and if you have any questions about the move feel free to ask (I moved over there and then moved several times whilst there) Have a look around this site http://www.utah.com/

Are you heading to Texas by any chance.... I lived in Houston for a year may be able to help with info, feel free to PM me if you fancy more of a chat about the states.

Wow - sounds like you've seen a fair bit of the country! I've only visited twice last year, but my fiance Michelle (who posted above) and I squeezed in a few things- some walking in Maryland, Luray Caverns/Shenandoah, NYC, Wash. DC, and we drove north from our place in WV (where we will be living) to Niagara Falls back in September - stayed on the Canadian side and went up to Toronto for a day. Like Michelle said- we'll be doing lots more exploring over there 8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:06 pm

HighlandSC - Looks like you won't be needing any tips on living in the USA then :D It is an incredible country with a million hikes around places we never hear of over here. Bull Shoals lake on the Arkansas / Missouri border sits in 1.2 million acres of Ozark National Forest .... yep I did say 1.2 million acres.
I took a lot of visiting friends hiking in that spectacular forest to a spot called 'Whittaker Point' though more locally it is called 'Hawksbill Crag'.
Anyway, I could write forever on where to visit in the states but you appear to have a good guide out there already :D so I'll stop with the inane rambling and post a shot of my brother on 'Hawksbill Crag
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:30 pm

WOW....!!!!! :shock:

Never get me to do that :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Alastair S wrote:Gorgeous is certainly the word - or wow!

Saved the last shot till the end there - fabulous capture. Is it a stitch of several images or do you have a super wide angle? Whatever its a stunner :D

Thanks Alastair :D Its a stitch of 2 images taken with a wide angle lens.
ChrisW
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland