walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

USA - Alamogordo - New Mexico

USA - Alamogordo - New Mexico

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:56 am

Date walked: 17/02/2009

Time taken: 2

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 40m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was, without exception the most memorable walk I have ever undertaken, for a number of reasons. Not only the history of the site (home of the first ever nuclear test) but the incredible effort that was needed to walk across pure white gypsum sand (with the consistency of a child's play pit sand) that pulled your legs down into it like an ogre from a childhood nightmare. It may only be a little over 4 miles but it is incredibly draining and rewarding in equal measure and the stark beauty of a sea of white sand cannot be overstated.
As it is desert I arrived early (as usual) casting long shadows along the side of the entrance road. Image
The road soon turns white with blown sand as dunes rise on either side.
The road takes you 8 miles into the centre of the dunes before it comes to an abrupt end and the trail-head begins, what little life exists wears a strange white cloak and is somehow surreal in appearance
Once you start into the dune field you quickly realise that walking up 15 metre soft sand dunes is more difficult than it may first appear.
Down hill is easier, but not much. The sand seems to eat into your boots and it seems that waterproof does not equal sand proof
On occasion green plants peek out of the dunes leaving you in awe of their determination
Between the dunes are occasional oases where plants remain and the firm ground does not shift on the desert wind
Even in the dunes some grasses survive
As the sun gets higher, the walking gets harder and the gallons of water I'm carrying are suddenly less of a burden
The way is marked by orange topped posts that poke out of the sand at 1/2 mile intervals as can be seen beside the footprints in the top right of this shot
So. I've made it the 2.2. miles across the dunes to the alkali flats....now its just the 2.2 miles back with the sun high in the sky.
Time to empty the boots again I think
Good lord.....how much further......
Just one more peak and we are there
Ahaaaa, shelter......aaaaaarrrrrghhhhh A TIN HUT.....IN THE DESERT....aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh
Just a couple of panoramic shots to finish off
I'm sure that the incredible stark beauty of Alamogordo will remain my favourite walk................. though I would never do it again!!
Last edited by ChrisW on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: USA - Alamogordo - New Mexico

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:34 am

Chris, only 1 of your pics in this report is showing up.

Edit - fixed now :)
Last edited by HighlandSC on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Glad you said that HSC. Thought the squiffy juice had ruined the ol peepers :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:42 pm

STUNNING 8)

The sand almost looks like snow! We have a few desert trip ideas on the backburner - can't wait to see these places.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:54 pm

:wave: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 am

Stunning photos there. Did it look any different before the nuclear test?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Stunning photos there. Did it look any different before the nuclear test?

No, I think it looked the same Paul, the reason it was chosen was exactly because it looked like that and it was very remote at the time (still is to some extent) best of all after testing they could bulldoze materials (Trinitite ) back under the surface very easily. (they called it trinitite after the code name of the test 'trinity' - it was just glass created from the sand by the explosion)

The trinity site is closed to the public now but still home to a US missile range, though I didn't hear any going off whilst I wandered around :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby FLaVrT » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Last edited by FLaVrT on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLaVrT
Scrambler

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Hey FlaVrT,
Thanks for the explanation of source, I'm really surprised and interested to hear that it is actually yellow.

Love your shot of the crystal, bloody huge thing it is too. As for trail sandals I learned a lesson there and got myself a pair soon after.....now they are in the bottom of the wardrobe looking sorry for themselves - not much call for them in Scotland :lol:

I'm going to live in Canada soon so maybe I'll wear 'em to walk across the oil sands of Alberta :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland