walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Swiss 4000nders 9A The Gross Grunhorn

Swiss 4000nders 9A The Gross Grunhorn

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:56 pm

Date walked: 23/08/2001

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On account of problems with google photos and the maximum no. of attachments allowed by WH I have had to reissue this report which originally formed part of a longer one Including the Fiescherhorner and Finsteraarhorn

Finn-005B.jpg
The best view of the Gross and Klein Grunhorner from the Finsteraarhorn
Grn00.jpg
Traverse from the Finsteraarhorn hut over the Gross Grunhorn to the Monchsjoch hut
The route (SE face) climbs into the snow coombe SE of the summit, crosses the SW ridge near point 3585 and ascends a steep snow couloir to the rocks.
Grun000.jpg
The upper half of the route
Grun001.jpg
Early morning view of the Finsteraarhorn: the hut lies near the narrow snow ribbon leading up from the glacier. the route climbs this trending L and crosses the ridge about half way up to reach the big snow slope well above the Icefall
Grun-002.jpg
Sunrise over the Walliser Fiescherhorner
Grun003.jpg
Higher on the face looking SW across the ridge to the Valais
The rock climbing was again pleasant and easy ( II - III) on good rock and we moved together most of the time. The route is graded D (difficile) but in my experience of the lower alpine grades it is the conditions rather than the grade that determine the difficulty - and today's were perfect :D
Grun-004.jpg
West from the just below the Summit: the big glacier area is called the Grosser Aletsch firn, and the pass at the end the Lötchenlücke
Grun-005.jpg
North to the Hinter and Gross Fiescherhorner with the Eiger on the L
Grun-006.jpg
Another view of our first day descent - on the extreme R of the icefall in the lower L of the picture. The steep ice gully we ran beneath is directly below the Schreckhorn
Grun-007.jpg
Klaus on the summit
We descended south to the col before the Grünegghorn and then made quite a complicated descent through various icefalls to reach the Ewigschneefeld. The ground was quite crevassed, but the crevasses were very obvious and it was just a matter of manoevring round them.
Grun-008.jpg
The Finsteraarhorn through a notch in the South Ridge
Grun-009.jpg
Descending the S ridge towards the Grünegghorn
Once on the level Schneefeld it was jus a flat 5Km walk back to the Mönchjoch. The glacier surface then was completely smooth whereas today I imagine it would be highly scalloped and much more tiring
Grun-010.jpg
The route from the col on the R zig-zagged down these glacier slopes to reach the flat Ewigschneefeld
Grun-011.jpg
a few Km nearer base - the Fiescherhorner, Grünhorner and Grünegghorn can all be seen
Grun-012.jpg
Below the Fiescherhorner - the tiny specks of the party behind give some indication of just how big this glacier plateau is :shock: You walk for half an hour and the view doesn't seem to change at all: but eventually we made it back to the Mönchjoch hut
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:84
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Swiss 4000nders 9A The Gross Grunhorn

Postby Pointless Parasite » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Incredible. Must be one of the most remote of the 4000ers in the Alps. This was the mountain the great Swiss climber Erhard Loretan was killed on in 2011.
Pointless Parasite
Stravaiging

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Pointless Parasite wrote:Incredible. Must be one of the most remote of the 4000ers in the Alps. This was the mountain the great Swiss climber Erhard Loretan was killed on in 2011.

I suppose in a way it is remote, but if you're at the Finsteraarhorn hut and on your way back to the Jungfrau joch it's right in line :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:84
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby BuzyG » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:51 pm

Wow, thanks for those pictures, what a cracking mountain. Well done. 8)
BuzyG
Munro compleatist

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland