walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Western Oberland 3 The Rote Totz

Western Oberland 3 The Rote Totz

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Date walked: 27/07/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kandersteg by the Rote Totz Lücke
After the minor cock-up of the Steghorn :lol: :lol: I determined to do this route correctly, and while Donna was
walking past the Daubensee I headed up the river bed from the Wildstrubel hotel, (as before) but when I reached the Lammeren hut I headed R on the correct route to the Rote Totz - I didn't even stop at the hut.
818.jpg
The Lammeren hut
821.jpg
View back from the hut
830.jpg
Correct route
824.jpg
This time I followed the signpost - not even visiting the hut - and headed up on the correct path.
KA15.jpg
The difficult path down from the Leiterli emerges from the gully in shade on the R
836.jpg
Looking up to the 2805m pass - the last grass for quite a while
833.jpg
Looking through the Leiterli to the Grossstrubel
839.jpg
Looking back towards the hut with the Wildstrubel peaks beyond
843.jpg
Looking up from the pass - the Steghorn glacier is at the top of the picture - there's clearly no way down!
844.jpg
Thlaspi rotundifolium - Round leaved penny-cress
850.jpg
Looking back from the pass
853.jpg
down the other side to the 3049m Gross Lohner
856.jpg
A wider view
861.jpg
Looking back - the last remains of a once sizeable glacier
Most of the ice shown on the map has now gone . There is a (blue) path on the map, but I don't think I found it: I made my way down the moraine, crossed the last of the ice and found a path, but it seemed to be climbing the other side and going over to Entsligenalp, whereas I wanted to be on the right of the Tallisee. So I left it, scrambled back down to the valley floor and picked up another path beside the lake.
869.jpg
I seemed to be climbing up
872.jpg
The Tallisee - another rather unspiring lake
874.jpg
I was about to descend into the mist
875.jpg
Veronica alpina - Alpine speedwell
879.jpg
There are a lot of paths in this area
In 2003 I did a day walk from the delightful berghotel at Entsligenalp to the Schwarenbach and back by different routes, so I've been on most of the paths: the one I wanted now goes directly below a huge cliff - it's quite dramatic - but I missed it in the fog and made an unnecessary diversion, descending and then climbing back up to get to the Schwartzgrat.
880.jpg
The path I should have taken goes under this cliff - 2003 photo looking in the opposite direction
881.jpg
On the Schwartzgrat looking back
884a.jpg
Looking across the valley to the Tschingellochtighorn - surely a candidate for the world's daftest mountain :lol:
The paths on the ridge go all around it and I've no doubt it's been climbed, but it looks about as stable as Portree's Old man of Storr

From here you can descend steeply to the Schwarenbach, but the mist apppeared to be lifting so I decided to continue over the grassy summit of the 2472m Wysse Flue and on down the Üschene-grat - the rocky ridge between the valleys.
887.jpg
Climbing up to the Wysse Flue
890.jpg
Looking back to the Daubensee - Matterhorn and Dent Blanche behind
893.jpg
On the flat summit plateau
899.jpg
Altels 3692m and the Rinderhorn through patchy mist
The remainder of the ridge was a bit disappointing: the mist failed to lift completely and there was no view into the valley on the left. Moreover, because the ridge consists of rocky limestone, the path traverses well below the crest and only rejoins it occasionally.
900.jpg
A nice patch of Aconitum napellus - Common Monks-hood
903.jpg
a section of the ridge in the mist
906.jpg
The mist clears briefly again
913.jpg
Near the end - a view down a steep gully into the valley
916.jpg
Altels
I eventually came to a junction. You can carry on all the way down to the village, but it's still quite a long way and I'd already been going for nearly 9 hours, so I headed R down the very steep path to the lift. 55 min the signpost said - but I made in about 30 :) as the last lift was imminent! We met up in Kandersteg at a fairly inexpensive hotel we'd booked.
Attachments
882.jpg
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland