walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

USA - Mt Rainier National Park - Washington State

USA - Mt Rainier National Park - Washington State

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:02 am

Date walked: 14/07/2009

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Less than 8 weeks after yet another leg operation I find myself staring at a beautiful mountain, unfortunately staring at it was about as close as I would get this day. I was pleased to be out and about even if it was just 'strengthening' in preparation for the next leg op. I stuck to the lower levels and followed a dry river bed as far as I dare before turning back, just pleased to have been out at all.

I parked by the roadside soon after entering the park and headed off into the woodland on a well worn pathway.

After a short time passing through some quite dense rainforest I saw a clearing in the trees and the dry river bed beyond

As I stepped out into the space it opened up where melt water had cascaded down clearing all in its way and I turned left and headed upstream.

The river bed was strewn with carcasses of long dead trees, hammered by nature and laid to rest in the rocks, this one made a nice foreground filler for my first shot of that pristine mountain.

Further up I was interested to see the park approach to bridging the flow of water using 'disposable bridges' made of a single pine cut on 2 sides with the addition of a rustic handrail.

Crossing the makeshift bridge I took the path to the right and into the trees on the opposite side intending to make a loop, the path appeared to be heading the way I wanted so I followed it. I soon came upon another stream and another 'pine bridge'.

After less than an hour walking downstream the water had slowed, narrowed and turned into ........ something, but at least, looking downstream, I could see the hills adjacent to where I had started away in the distance.

A last look upstream at the mountain before heading back to the car.

I drove around the park limping around a number of waterfalls and viewpoints before heading out.

Having now finished with leg operations (all being well :? ) I am desperately trying to get back to a point where willpower and energy dictate my distance rather than pain and concern about potential repercussions of continuing.

Finding this forum has really helped me picture a return to 'normal' - reading through so many walks and seeing some stunning photos really does provide an impetus to keep going. It has been almost 4 years on and off with my right leg issues after a nasty accident as a pedestrian in London and I was actually starting to lose faith, but the forum, the pics and the banter have really got me right back at it. So, my thanks to all who contribute, in just a couple of days you have really provided the lift I desperately needed, hopefully I will be able to post more meaningful walks within the next few months, until then it will be the short USA wanderings and any I can manage locally that are less than 6/7 miles and less than 1000 metres elevation.
That is the reason I look so pleased with myself in my avatar pic, at the top of Clachnaben - (the first time I had walked past 1000 feet in almost 4 years)...it felt like a huge victory.
Thanks again, Chris :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: USA - Mt Rainier National Park - Washington State

Postby Milesy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:16 pm

What a cracking place. Would love to go up Rainer some day. Hope you're well soon.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Think I'm gona have to visit America.

Can you get Walkhighland meet-ups across the pond? 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Milesy wrote:What a cracking place. Would love to go up Rainer some day. Hope you're well soon.

Thanks Milesy, it been a frustrating few years but I think I'm through it now,(fingers crossed) just a matter of slowly regaining fitness and shedding some of the additional pounds that sneaked on whilst I wasn't looking :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:38 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Think I'm gona have to visit America.

Can you get Walkhighland meet-ups across the pond? 8)

If the opportunity to go to the states arises grab it with both hands, its a stunning country, a walkhighland meet up would be a blast....gotta love the internet for providing such possibilities :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby tango » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Hey Chris join the club with leg injuries...mine are both working fine now thank god.... :D had 3 ops on the old b*ggers,injured in Iraq...i know what you mean about those extra few pounds, they just ambush you.. :lol: ...Loved the this report im looking at doing Mount Rainier next year if i get the time & the pennies...I first saw Mount Rainier in 1990 when i was out there with the Army..so thanks for the report & hope you have a speedy recovering....
tango

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks Tango, wish I could have done more whilst I was there, but going to live in Canada (all being well) at the back end of this year so I may drift back across the border and have another look at it, (if I'm not too busy with Banff, Jasper, Glacier and the myriad of other National Parks around Calgary :lol: ) I'm going to get this leg working by then.....or keel over on top of a hill in Scotland trying :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby tango » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:14 am

Chris, hope all goes well in Canada!! your going to love Banff :D ,Lake Louise etc ive spent 6 months in Canada all together, visited Banff & all those lovely places..i climbed Athabasca a few times when i was out there an excellent mountain to scale if you get the chance !!give it all go.....you need crampons etc...good luck :D
tango

Postby ChrisW » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks Tango, I confess to being giddy about the thought of Canada (I spend at least an hour a day trawling the internet on where to walk etc :D ) if the leg is working by then I'm gonna hammer it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland