walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sale fell and Ling fell from Brumston Bridge

Sale fell and Ling fell from Brumston Bridge

Postby gld73 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ling Fell, Sale Fell

Date walked: 22/12/2019

Time taken: 1.5

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather forecast was poor, so I decided to do these 2 smaller Wainwrights (373m Ling Fell and 359m Sale Fell) so I'd be below the cloud, these 2 being the most north westerly ones, easy for me to drive to and not boggy terrain. Parked at Brumston Bridge between the 2 fells, near Wythop Mill, where there was a room for a handful of cars - surprised to find there were a handful of cars there. There are quite a few variations of routes which could be done over these 2 fells, I went directly up Sale Fell by a direct steep route then across to the summit (would normally be good views over to Skiddaw in clear weather) then roughly the same direction back down to the car but a more gradual path, then over and up Ling Fell, again heading directly up a steep route, then back down the east side and a track back round to the minor road. A longer walk over to Broom Fell would have been possible on a nicer day with longer daylight hours, but today wasn't that day. Raining by the time I was back at the car, so half-minded plans to go up Barrow or somewhere else were shelved and I headed home. 2 very easy Wainwrights, but nice ones for a straightforward walk in any conditions.
APDC6530.JPG
From the initial steep stretch of ascent up Sale Fell looking over to Ling Fell, the 2nd target for the afternoon

APDC6531.JPG
Sale Fell grassy plateau, heading over to the summit

APDC6532.JPG
View over to Skiddaw from Sale Fell - not quite as cloudy just now as when I was up there the day before

APDC6537.JPG
Looking back down to Sale Fell from the ascent up the north side of Ling Fell, (bit of Bassenthwaite visible on the left and Skiddaw background right)

APDC6538.JPG
In the wind at Ling Fell summit, just before the rain started properly
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland