walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skiddaw, Little Man and Latrigg

Skiddaw, Little Man and Latrigg

Postby gld73 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Latrigg, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Hewitts included on this walk: Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Date walked: 21/12/2019

Time taken: 3.1

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at my parents late the night before by train, so didn't want to disappear off early on a walk. Weather wasn't great, so rather than waste time looking for good routes up new hills, I headed for Skiddaw, a big mountain but one with a good path to avoid navigation problems in the clag, and easy for me to drive to (i.e. not wanting to drive all round the county in my mum's car). I did it from Keswick about 20 years ago, but the late start and short daylight hours meant this time I started from the small (but free) parking area at Under Skiddaw, behind Latrigg.

Good, clear stony path all the way up, which was just as well as I was soon in the clag and navigation would have been as rubbish as the views. Put a couple of extra layers on once I was at the summit plateau, felt very cold, still snow patches around. Headed over to the trig point and summit, then headed back the same route as far as the path branching off to the right to return over Little Man, Lesser Man and then back down rejoining the main path back down to the car. A surprisingly easy walk given it's munro equivalence, so rather than head directly back to the car, I popped up Latrigg too, which just added a few extra minutes and metres of ascent to things (though not much, given the high start point) and gave me a view over Keswick and Derwentwater.
APDC6521.JPG
Obvious path to follow up Skiddaw even if the cloud is down

APDC6522.JPG
My ascent route took the path contouring around Little Man, though a lot of the path was covered by snow. Still easy enough to follow fortunately given the rubbish visibility.

APDC6525.JPG
Skiddaw summit. I didn't hang around.

APDC6526.JPG
Little Man summit

APDC6528.JPG
View south down to Derwentwater and Keswick from Latrigg

APDC6529.JPG
Heading back down Latrigg to the car park, cloud now even lower on Skiddaw
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland