walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Struck by being on Middle Fell with Hugh

Struck by being on Middle Fell with Hugh

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Buckbarrow, Middle Fell, Seatallan

Hewitts included on this walk: Seatallan

Date walked: 10/11/2019

Time taken: 4.17

Distance: 10.2 km

Ascent: 810m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I look over the huge mound which is my stomach following the Christmas excesses and lack of exercise I thought I'd best try to catch up on my reports. And sorry for the terrible title, I should know better. :oops:

Following the problems with footwear on my last outing in the Howgills I took remedial action with the evil boots, putting some decent foot beds in them and sticking some heel grips to the back to provide some padding where previously there was none. I could have waited for my Altbergs to be re-soled but as fine winter days are a thing to be treasured I decided to have a shorter walk but a longer drive and headed out to Wasdale to climb three of the more remote (for somebody living in NE England) fells.

It was a great feeling to find the ground largely frozen solid when we arrived at Greendale. This was a classic crisp early winters day and following the seemingly endless drive over it felt so good to be making my way up into the fells with the views opening up with each and every step. If anything due to being totally sheltered from the wind I was overheating and had to shed a few layers as the steepest section was negotiated.

Buckbarrow bathed in morning light

Early light on the Scafells

Scafells and Wastwater

Greendale Gill

Steeply upwards

Hughie

Looking down to Greendale

As height was gained however the breeze became evident and I was soon wrapped up once more for the now steady climb to the superbly situated summit. Last time Hughie and I were here views were curtailed by cloud hanging on the Scafells but this time the view was superb, a light dusting of snow on the higher ground providing the last perfect touch to the wonderful view. Only downside was it was bloody freezing so we found a sheltered spot and enjoyed some breakfast.

Looking past Buckbarrow and out to the Irish sea

Light breaking over the screes

Scafells back into view

Middle Fell summit

Hughie on the summit

The Isle of Man with a snow capped Snaefell beyond Sellafield

Snow capped Scafells from Middle Fell

As it was too cold to really linger much longer we continued promptly upon rations being consumed and were soon crossing the largely frozen bog towards Seatallan. If the views had been curtailed on Middle Fell last time they were none existent on Seatallan on our previous visit. This time more than made up for it with the glorious 360 panorama seen to the full from the ancient tumulus turned summit shelter. We stopped for more rations enjoying the relaxed time table given the shorter walk we were doing and took in the views. By now it was obvious my footwear modifications were successful as I had suffered no issues whatsoever and it was a very happy plod down to the cairn at Cat Bields over the easiest of terrain.

Haycock

Seatallan

Scafells from the way up Seatallan

Great Gable

...and a close up

Sunshine over Greendale Tarn and Middle Fell

Seatallan summit

Hughie on Seatallan summit

On the way down to Cat Bields

Cairn on Cat Bields

Dog Bields

Hughie strikes a pose

From here we continued on to the Birkett of Glade How which had been missed last time due to a very large number of walkers ensconced on the summit as we passed. This time it was just us and we lingered a while before heading off to the lumps and bumps of Buckbarrow.

Glade How

Looking past Seatallan to Haycock

We wandered around all three of Buckbarrows tops enjoying the views from all before reluctantly heading down the path next to Gill Beck. Even the walk along the road was quite blissful with the the sunshine, snowy tops, and autumnal colour painting a beautiful picture.

Scafells looking magnificent from Buckbarrow

Buckbarrow Summit

The Screes from Buckbarrow

Another of Buckbarrow's tops

Screes from Gill Beck

Buckbarrow

Autumn in Wasdale

Buckbarrow from the road

Greendale Beck

This is a beautiful shortish walk made even better on a perfect day such as this. Also helps when your feet don't get savaged by your boots. :D

Middle Fell Round.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Struck by being on Middle Fell with Hugh

Postby trailmasher » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Nice one Anthony :clap: and what a superb day you both had with absolutely perfect air quality. Excellent images as is your usual standard on what is a great walk in itself :) And, it is worth the long drive once you get there 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:41 pm

Some superb images, as per usual! I've never registered Buckbarrow before, but your pics of it show just why hills don't have to be especially high to be dramatic.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:40 pm

trailmasher wrote:Nice one Anthony :clap: and what a superb day you both had with absolutely perfect air quality. Excellent images as is your usual standard on what is a great walk in itself :) And, it is worth the long drive once you get there 8)

Thanks TM it was just about a perfect day for walking, nice to see the views I missed last time.

Alteknacker wrote:Some superb images, as per usual! I've never registered Buckbarrow before, but your pics of it show just why hills don't have to be especially high to be dramatic.

Buckbarrow is a really nice little fell and well worth tagging onto a longer route. Thanks once again for the kind words.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland