walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Passes and valleys (and 2 hills)

Passes and valleys (and 2 hills)

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Sallows, Sour Howes

Date walked: 10/01/2020

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 31.9 km

Ascent: 2026m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I've been looking at longer routes I could possibly do in winter when the weather doesn't allow going very high and after someone told me about a passes and valley route they did I was keen to do something similar.

We've had some very windy weather again recently and with a Friday off I decided now was the time to try a similar route.

Obviously this particular route could be shortened by starting and ending in Kentmere but i don't particularly like the narrow roads and starting from Troutbeck Church is so convenient. Obviously this would mean heading over the Garburn Pass twice to complete but it seemed a decent trade off.

An interesting walk with very different valleys and passes. I will certainly look to do something similar again in the future.

1 on the G Pass.JPG
An early start on the Garburn Pass. Quickly it is obvious that the weather is a) not as windy forecast and b) much more misty with some drizzle

2 G pass.JPG
Garburn Pass summit

3 Heading down to Kentmere.JPG
Dropping down into Kentmere

4 Through Kentmere.JPG
The walk through Kentmere is fantastic to the reservoir. On a good track with Yoke and Ill Bell towering above you on the left.

5 Looking back at Kent Res.JPG
The main track to Nan Bield Pass is quite high on the hillside on the Kentmere Pike side of the valley - joining this path from the Reservoir is collar work on pathless (and today quite wet) ground. Or maybe I just missed the path!

6 NB Pass.JPG
Eventually I picked up the path and it gradually became more wintery until I reached the summit of Nan Bield Pass - the high point of today's walk

7 Very wintery.JPG
The initial bit of the descent to Small Water was even more wintery. I was suprised how much snow there was with the weather we've had.

8 Small Water.JPG
Small Water appears out of the mist - so much for the blue skies forecast!

9 Mardale Head.JPG
And further down the valley Mardale Head and Haweswater appear

10 Up Gatescarth.JPG
It's an immediate turn round from here and back up Gatescarth Pass - which is a poor second to Nan Bield Pass and Small Water to be honest

11 Down Gatescarth.JPG
Looking back down Gatescarth Pass

12 G Pass.JPG
Gatescarth Pass summit

13 Into Longsleddale.JPG
Dropping down into Longsleddale

14 Back up Longsleddale.JPG
Looking back up Longsleddale, which is always an interesting valley to walk through

15 Sadgill.JPG
Sadgill with the seemingly unnamed pass over to Kentmere behind

16 L Pass.JPG
Summit of the pass

17 Kentmere Church and G Pass.JPG
Kentmere Church with Garburn Pass behind

18 Sallows.JPG
Sallows summit. The weather was really clearing up now and I noted that it wouldn't add much to head over Sallows and Sour Howes on my way back to the car - it would vary it a little as well.

19 Sour Howes.JPG
Sour Howes summit - a long walk for these two Wainwrights!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland