walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Swiss 4000nders 18 The Schreckhorn part 1

Swiss 4000nders 18 The Schreckhorn part 1

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:07 pm

Date walked: 05/08/2009

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On account of google photo problems I have had to separate this two part report from the Lauteraarhorn (17)

The 4078m Schreckhorn (correctly the Gross Schreckhorn) is one of the most impressive of the Swiss 4000nders, but it hides away and is seldom seen to its best. If you drive South down the motorway from Berne to Interlaken on a clear day it appears as a sharp spike at the far L . This aspect from the North is well captured in this winter picture
12.jpg
Schreckhorn from the North
00.jpg
it is also seen - with the Lauteraarhorn to its R - from the Eismeer window on the Jungfraujoch railway
11.jpg
- the standard route on this mountain used to climb the obvious snow couloir to the Schrecksattel - and then the ridge above it but modern snow conditions have made this much less popular and the normal way now is to climb the shallow partly snow-filled depression on the L to the "shoulder" - and then finish up slabby rocks from there
It requires good conditions to climb it, but the corollary of this is that when conditions are good it gets very crowded :(
The conditions did not occur in 2008, but in early August 2009 things looked good.
It is a very long route from the Schreckhorn hut and Klaus decided that to give us the best chance of success we would camp just below the Strahlegg pass where there is a even platform accessible by helicopter. I was gettng a bit past-my-sell-by-date by now - so who was I to argue :lol: all I had to do was pay for the helicopter - which turned out to be much less than I had feared :) Klaus also had a small camera so I'm afraid you'll have to put up with more pictures of me.

Day 1
Klaus packed everything into two plastic barrels which we left at the Heliport at Lauterbrunnen before taking the lift from Grindelwald and walking up to the Schreckhorn hut - same POW camp regime as before:(
13.JPG
Getting everything into the barrels
14.JPG
At the Heliport
15.jpg
On the way up to the hut - looking across to the Ischmeer glacier leading up to the foot of the Fiescherwand - the Eiger is in cloud on the R
15a.JPG
Grindelwald glacier icefall - the path to the hut keeps on the L all the way. There are wires to help on the rocky sections
16.JPG
Zoomed view
17.JPG
Schreckhorn hut
18.JPG
Ibex at the hut

Views from the hut

19.jpg
This path leads out on to the flat glacier which you follow for a bit before heading up scree slopes towards the pass
20.jpg
Up towards the Ochs (or Kleines Fiescherhorn)
21.jpg
Mönch and Eiger
22.JPG
Eiger close up - somewhere up there is the Eismeer window on the railway, but I've never been able to spot it :lol:
23.JPG
Evening view of the Finsteraarhorn
24.JPG
Evening sun on the Schreckhorn
25.JPG
Zoomed view

Day 2
We made a leisurely climb towards the Strahlegg pass and found our barrels in the expected place: Klaus organised the tent and we sat and lazed around in the sunshine - watching the scenery.
26.jpg
Schreckhorn from the way up to the pass
27.jpg
Detailed map - the camp site is close to Gaagg

The campsite
SHR22.jpg

SHR23.JPG

SHR24.JPG
Relaxing at the camp
SHR24a.JPG
The fridge
SHR25.JPG
A guide's duties include cooking
SHR26.jpg
Route to the Schreckhorn
SHR27.JPG
Looking down the glacier on the L into the valley
SHR28.JPG
Close-up of the glacier
SHR29.JPG
Nice to have a down jacket when it's this cold :)
SHR30.JPG
Evening sun on tent and Schreckhorn
SHR31.JPG
Evening sun again - start of tomorrows route - bottom L - Lauteraarhorn and Strahlegg pass - upper R
SHR32.JPG
Finsteraarhorn and Finsteraarjoch again
SHR33.JPG
Nice warm ski hat - £2.95 in C&A sale - ca. 1980 :lol:

SHR34.JPG
Last of the sun
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland