walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pen Y Fan your thoughts...

Pen Y Fan your thoughts...

Postby kevsbald » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:11 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen y Fan

Date walked: 20/01/2020

Time taken: 1.5

Distance: 6.4 km

Ascent: 475m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have nearly completed all the Munros, done more than half of the Corbetts, dabbled in some of the English mountains but never once set foot in the Welsh hills. At my age, this was unforgivable. 2020 is a year of new experiences for me and I had managed to set up a meeting in Swansea for the afternoon. All that remained was do the long drive the night before, check in to a hotel and get some sleep before an early drive into the Welsh valleys. The fog was thick crossing from Shrewsbury into Wales and on towards Brecon. I was surprised how rural and unpopulated the area was. I checked the map and was also surprised at how good the road was up into the hills. I aimed for the highest point of the A470 and gradually emerged from the gloom into bright sunshine. This was going to be a fab wee walk.

I parked in the large parking area, just North of the reservoir and got kitted up with light pack and trail shoes. I'd be running as much of this as possible and the track was like a road. It has been well-maintained and no doubt experienced huge footfall. I was impressed with the view up to Corn Du and began the climb. Initially icy further down due to the sun not having risen enough, a couple of folk were slipping and sliding. I chose my steps carefully. I made very quick progress in getting to the bealach (what's it called in Welsh?) and was rewarded for my climb with some fabulous views. I decided to take in Corn Du on the way to Pen Y Fan as it was a pretty enough top in its own right. From here, Wales lay before me still shrouded in fog. To the East were the impressive corries and peaks of the Brecon hills. I fair bombed over to Pen Y Fan and had the summit to myself for a couple of minutes before a group with a wee French Bulldog approached. My own wee Frenchie is too old for these trips now so I stopped to give some affection, before heading back down. I fair romped down the hill and was back at the wee van for a lovely cold lemonade in just over 75 minutes. I will definitely be back to Wales as the hills are stupendous in such conditions.

IMG_2520_kp.jpg
Initial climb
IMG_2523_kp.jpg
Corn Du looms
IMG_2527_kp.jpg
To Pen Y Fan
IMG_2528_kp.jpg
Summit and beyond
IMG_2529_kp.jpg
Fan Y Big?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Pen Y Fan your thoughts...

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 pm

Lovely images, glad you enjoyed your trip.

Though they can be busy, it takes very little effort to get away from people, either by choosing your timing or simply wandering off the main routes.

I'd recommend the Black Mountain escarpment to the west too, much quieter.

As for the rest of Wales, Snowdonia would count as some of the most spectacular mountains in Britain, only the ease of access and popularity spoil that a bit. Again, pick your time.
The Rhinogs are both spectacular, and wild. Some of the roughest terrain in Britain if you traverse the whole ridge.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:21 am

Agree with all Mal's comments. The Rhinogs are just wonderful - check out his report (or even mine). Wild and wonderful, and rare to see others. A hidden jewel.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby poppiesrara » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:50 am

To answer the question in your caption, it's Cribyn in the last photo - with Fan y Big (and a host of others) in view behind). Great photos of great hills in lovely conditions...

I hope you carry on with Wales and echo the previous comments - and it's probably only Snowdon itself (and do go even there at least once, there are few better viewpoints even through the crowds as you sup your cold summit beer) that you'll find much busier than Pen y Fan, almost everywhere else is quiet by most standards I'd say. Cadair Idris and Moel Siabod would be great 'next steps' if you want short routes like this. But there are dozens more worth trying.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby kevsbald » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:45 am

Many thanks for great tips.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland