walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Brief foray into Zinal

A Brief foray into Zinal

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Date walked: 13/08/2008

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The lowest crossing from the German speaking Mattertal into French speaking Zinal is the 3440m Col Durand between 3713 Mont Durand to the East and the 3789m Pointe de Zinal to the west.
PC.jpg
The Pointe de Zinal is so named because looking up the Zinal valley - even from quite low down - it appears at the head of the valley
PDZ02e.jpg
From The Theodule pass or from Hornli it nestIes - often unnoticed - in front of the much bigger Dent Blanche, but in this slightly zoomed photo its "spiky" top can be seen against the mist
Our plan was to climb the Pointe de Zinal from the Schonbiel hut, descend via the Col Durand to the Grand Mountet hut in upper Zinal and return the next day by way of the 3743m Trifthorn
PDZ00.jpg
The Schonbiel hut - modern photo
PDZ02a.jpg
map of route
I walked up to the hut - about 3 hours from Zermatt - in fine weather, and Klaus joined me later
PDZ01.jpg
The Matterhorn from outside the hut - Hornli ridge on the L, Italian on the R and Zmutt straight ahead
PDZ02.jpg
Further R the Dent d'Herens and the two branches of the rapidly vanishing Tiefenmatten glacier

Pointe de Zinal

Pdz02C.jpg
The route follows an easy path up a valley above the hut (Kumme) to a 3210m col beyond which you traverse horizontally on a vague path across this chossy slope to the glacier, follow that for a few hundred metres and then climb L to the ridge.
PDZ02B.jpg
But as the weather was misty I have had to rely on library photos. As you can see from this one the glacier has shrunk to such an extent that you probably don't need to use it. The Col Durand is on the R
It was an easy climb to the ridge, but on the summit section which involves several ups and downs (grade II-IIa) it was misty, and with a biting wind. I did it all in gloves but took no photos.
We descended easily to the col, but the Northern slope was of steep grey ice, and very lean. Klaus lowered me a full rope length where I cut a stance and waited while he descended. He then repeated the process and I reached the ground below the bergschrund which he told me had been the scene of at least one fatality :(
I imagine it's all just a rubble slope today :( :(
Once down we headed North to avoid a steep icefall and then descended the glacier Durand without difficulty to the 2886 Grand Mountet hut
PDZ04.jpg
Looking back to the Pointe de ZInal: The Col Durand is on the far L
PDZ03.jpg
The East face of the Dent Blanche from the glacier: the gendarmes on the normal ascent route - the S ridge - are particularly prominent
PDZ05.jpg
Looking down the glacier: Zinal Rothorn (in cloud) Trifthorn and Ober Gabelhorn
PDZ07.jpg
The Grand Mountet hut - a modern library picture
The hut was full of walkers including a large party of schoolchildren. After dinner they settled down to some game of cards, and remained oblivious of what was happening Outside: :( :(
PDZ08.jpg
Trifthorn, Wellenkuppe (in cloud) and Ober Gabelhorn
PDZ09.jpg
Zinal Rothorn and Trifthorn
PDZ12.jpg
Dent Blanche and Grand Cornier
PDZ12A.jpg
Dent Blanche zoomed
If my French had been better I would have shouted at them :lol: :lol:
The next day we climbed a classic grade IIa rock ridge Mammouth on the route to the Blanc du Moming and returned to the hut. There are several more difficult routes on Mammouth but that would have involved bringing rock boots, twin ropes etc

The Trifthorn
TRF00.jpg
The Trifthorn from the hut
The route heads East from the hut then turns South and climbs easy snow slopes towards the summit. It's graded F but the last section is an ice pitch - no more than Scottish grade 2 - but with a very big drop below it :shock: : I'm not sure if I'd have wanted to solo it :lol: :lol: We set off at first light

Photos on the ascent

TRF01.jpg
Pointe de Zinal, Dent Blanche and Grand Cornier in the dawn light
TRF02.jpg
Snow slopes leading up to the Trifthorn - Ober Gabelhorn on the R
TRF03.jpg
Early morning Sun lights up the mountains: Mont Durand far L
TRF04.jpg
Trifthorn and Ober Gabelhorn again - nearer this time
TRF05.jpg
North face of the Obergabelhorn in sunshine
TRF06.jpg
Above the ice pitch looking W again
TRF09.jpg
On the summit - not looking my best :lol:
TRF11.jpg
Looking north down Zinal to the hut
TRF12.jpg
Dent Blanche and Grand Cornier again

From here we headed SW down the Triftgrat a pleasant (IIa) rock ridge to the 3526m Triftjoch
TRF13.jpg
The Ober Gabelhorn from the start of the descent
TRF10.jpg
Looking back up the Triftgrat
In early season the descent from here to the Trift glacier would have been on steep snow, but this time it was one of the steepest, loosest and most unpleasant piles of rubbish I have ever been on. I seem to remember there were occasional abseil points, but I was relieved when we arrived on the ice unscathed.
TRF14.jpg
Looking back up the glacier towards the Triftjoch
TRF15.jpg
Further down - the Welllenkuppe on the L
We descended the easy glacier to the Rothorn hut and after refreshment carried on down to Zermatt
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: A Brief foray into Zinal

Postby gaffr » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:22 am

Hello....I have made some approaches from the North side to reach Cabane Dent Blanche for a traverse of the Grand Cornier.....up South Ridge and then down the NE ridge to Moiry hutte. You start from a French speaking valley and then end up in a German speaking one. :) The joy of being in the Alps.
We must have been in the Zinal valley to reach the Tracuit Hutte for a trip up to the Bishorn however for Trifthorn, Wellenkuppe and Zinalrothorn we approached from the Zermatt valley.
Grand days out in the hills.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:02 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello....I have made some approaches from the North side to reach Cabane Dent Blanche for a traverse of the Grand Cornier.....up South Ridge and then down the NE ridge to Moiry hutte. You start from a French speaking valley and then end up in a German speaking one. :) The joy of being in the Alps.
We must have been in the Zinal valley to reach the Tracuit Hutte for a trip up to the Bishorn however for Trifthorn, Wellenkuppe and Zinalrothorn we approached from the Zermatt valley.
Grand days out in the hills.

Hi Gaffr Grand Cornier report in preparation :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:08 pm

Stunning, thanks for sharing! :clap:

I wasn't sure if the photos of the red sunset light hitting the tops of the peaks were real at first! :shock: No wonder you were annoyed at the others missing that!
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:05 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Stunning, thanks for sharing! :clap:

I wasn't sure if the photos of the red sunset light hitting the tops of the peaks were real at first! :shock: No wonder you were annoyed at the others missing that!

Sunrises and sunsets in the Alps are often spectacular - you could say it's what you go for :D :D
Not so much annoyed as sad :( You bring youngsters into the mountains and fail to show them why it's so fantastic :(
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland