walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The GR131 La Palma

The GR131 La Palma

Postby regedmunds » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Date walked: 07/01/2020

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I recently hiked the GR131 route on La Palma in the Canarias. I flew in with Easyjet (return fare just less than £90) and caught the 500 bus into Santa Cruz, crossed the road and caught the 300 bus to Los Lanos. So very easy. I got off the bus and in front of me was a Lidle supermarket so did all of my food and water shopping. I then walked a couple of miles in sunshine and 24 degrees to Puerto de Tazacorte, the start of the hike.

I was wild camping with my Hunker Bivi so as soon as I found the start of the hike (a zigzag path up the side of a mountain) I walked about two zig-zags, found a flat spot overlooking the port and decided that's where I'll sleep tonight. I then returned to the port to eat and to drink some beer and wine. At about 9 pm, it was dark, a cloudless sky, and a large moon I I waled back to my chosen camping spot. I had my torch with me but I didn't need it, it was almost like walking in daylight! I set up my bivi and slept well.

At dawn the next morning I set off on the GR131 and it was UP, UP, UP all of the way to the top! I thought I could make it to the summit of the Roque de Los Muchachos that day but I failed. Due to the terrain, there are no cafes or shops after the Cafe Meleno about 2 km from the start so I had to carry all of my food for three days hiking and water as well. I had 4L on my back and it was heavy!!! At dusk, I was exhausted and just need to rest and sleep. I slept in a small wooded area, about 2 metres from the rim of the extinct volcano, again very comfortable and I slept well.

It took me until 1 pm to get to the top, a really hard slog but really worth it. By now it was still sunny but there was a bitterly cold wind blowing. The views were stupendous, and leg trembling, I stayed there for about an hour and loved every second of it.

I then started to take the ongoing route, on the map it looked basically down but the reality was, up and down, down a bit, then up and down again, it was like this for a number of kilometres. By now I knew I need to find a new camping spot so headed for the tree line way down into the distance and prepared my camping spot again. I didn't manage to complete the whole walk, the internet guidance was 3/4 days but I should have allowed myself 5/6 days, never mind I enjoyed what I did.
regedmunds

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland