walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Left Overs

Left Overs

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Raven Crag

Date walked: 19/01/2020

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 736m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back in June 2019 an attempt to combine Raven Crag and High Rigg ended in abject failure largely due to me not doing any research as to access to Raven Crag. On this morning, having checked I could actually get across the dam, I returned to visit the tops I missed out upon that day.

I arrived before sunrise to be greated by an extraordinary sky above the Helvellyn ridge. It was a super sunrise with changing colours as the angle of the sun changed. All this was helped by a mirror flat Thirlmere so the wonderful sky could perfectly reflected.

Neon Sky

Thirlmere Sunrise

The colours continued to evolve on the way up the path through the frozen devastation of the denuded forestry slopes but by the time we topped onto the summit decking :wtf: the sun was hiding leaving a grey but beautiful view down Thirlmere. The path was, unlike the last time I was up here, nice and clear and we had breakfast enjoying the morning at this excellent vantage point.

Frozen devastation on the way up Raven Crag

Golden Dawn

Closing in on Raven Crag

First light just catching the tops

Golden light on Skiddaw

Looking towards Dunmail Raise

Thirlmere Sky

Blencathra from Raven Crag

Classic Raven Crag View

Hughie checks out the summit decking

Next up was Castle Crag, the former site of an Iron age hill fort. It's easy to imagine this being used as a defensive location with it's clear views up and down the valley. By this time the sky was changing again into a quite spectacular herringbone pattern, also known as a Mackerel sky. We didn't linger long and were soon making our way up through the forest to the rocky top of The Benn. This is another fine Birkett top and well worth a visit so we stayed a while before returning to the forestry track which winds it's way down the Western slopes beneath Sippling Crag.

Looking down Shoulthwaite from Castle Crag

The Dodds and an amazing sky from Castle Crag

...and up Shoulthwaite from Castle crag

Close to the top of The Benn

Thirlmere from The Benn

Hughie on The Benn

Mid Gill from The Benn

From this path Sippling Crag is revealed as really quite impressive but not as much as Iron Crag across Shoulthwaite which looked beautiful in the soft sunshine. So far the signage had been fairly straightforward but unsurprisingly contradicting messages were encountered making me glad I was doing this walk on a Sunday. The devastation caused by the pipeline project is still there for all to see but as they are clearly not finished the cover up job will have to be judged in a few years time, until then it will be a serious eyesore.

We ended up staying on the road as the path past Smaithwaite to Bridge End Farm was closed for no apparent reason. I could have ignored the sign but felt it best to just take a few more minutes on the road.

The impressive Iron Crag

Calfhow Pike

Watson's Dodd and Castle Rock

High Rigg

Raven Crag

By now the day was starting to feel quite spring like and plenty of people were wandering around the road. I'm not sure if I were wanting a low level wander on a fine winters day I'd pick here at the moment given the pipeline project, but I suppose you can look past it to some fine views of the fells.

Back across the dam I joined up with the permissive path along the shore beneath the final top of the day. As with Castle Crag and The Benn, Great How is certainly worth a visit giving excellent views up Thrilmere and across to Raven Crag. The day had quite transformed from the icy dawn and we sat (well I did, Hughie wandered about looking for titbits) and consumed some rations in the surprisingly warm feeling sunshine.

Shore path around Great How

Looking back across Thirlmere

Watson's Dodd again

Raven Crag and the Dam from Great How

Great How summit

Browncove Crags

North from Great How

Castle Rock of Triermain

South from Great How

I nice walk all said and done and one which will be even nicer in a few years once the scars have healed.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Please note this is an approximation of my route and not a GPS trail
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Left Overs

Postby trailmasher » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Worth the long drive for these fine Birkett's with great views Anthony :) and with such a fine set of photos makes for a grand report :clap: One thing in favour of the Forestry work is that the path is now a lot better than the thin wet one that struggled through the trees before they went to work on it :)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby onsen » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:19 pm

Lovely sunrise & a good-looking wander. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Great photos and some wonderful skies!

tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:16 pm

Quite a rarity to get such amazing skies combined with mirror-calm lakes. Made for some outstanding photos, some of which look likely competition winners :clap: :clap: . Raven Crag is a fine viewpoint, isn't it?
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:59 pm

trailmasher wrote:Worth the long drive for these fine Birkett's with great views Anthony :) and with such a fine set of photos makes for a grand report :clap: One thing in favour of the Forestry work is that the path is now a lot better than the thin wet one that struggled through the trees before they went to work on it :)

Quite a short drive for me :wink: the new path up Raven Crag is a huge improvement even if the summit decking is a little odd, Thank for the kind words as ever.

onsen wrote:Lovely sunrise & a good-looking wander. :thumbup:

I've been quite lucky with sunrises this winter, I think this one beats the lot however.

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great photos and some wonderful skies!

tim

Thank you Tim, the skies were quite something.

dav2930 wrote:Quite a rarity to get such amazing skies combined with mirror-calm lakes. Made for some outstanding photos, some of which look likely competition winners :clap: :clap: . Raven Crag is a fine viewpoint, isn't it?

Thanks for the kind words Dav, I've entered competitions before but generally end up baffled by what wins/places. For whatever reason colourful sunrises and mirror like lakes never seem to feature, :? Raven Crag is a nice view point for relatively little effort, in fact all four of the tops on this walk are well worth a visit.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:02 pm

Well you haven't lost your photography skills. Some amazing shots of the sky. Crazy colours.

Got any goals since you finished the Wainwrights?
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Ibex wrote:Well you haven't lost your photography skills. Some amazing shots of the sky. Crazy colours.

Thanks Ibex, I'm on round two (153) at the moment and bagging and Birketts (364) as I go. I'd really like to do more in bonnie Scotland but that's not really possible at the moment. I'd also like to finish the English Hewitts but as a few are none dog I'm leaving that for once Hughie has his well earned retirement.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 am

Words fail me! What an amazing set of pics. Just wonderful (but then I shouldn't be surprised, of course...)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Ibex » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:40 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
Ibex wrote:Well you haven't lost your photography skills. Some amazing shots of the sky. Crazy colours.

Thanks Ibex, I'm on round two (153) at the moment and bagging and Birketts (364) as I go. I'd really like to do more in bonnie Scotland but that's not really possible at the moment. I'd also like to finish the English Hewitts but as a few are none dog I'm leaving that for once Hughie has his well earned retirement.

Wow, you got through the second round fast. 3 ahead of me.
But we just secured a house in west Cumbria, so I should get through them a lot faster now. :)

Out of interest I looked and I can get to the most Southerly Munro in 3.5 hours. So not too bad!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland