walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Isaac's Tea Trail - Section One

Isaac's Tea Trail - Section One

Postby Christo1979 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Date walked: 08/02/2020

Time taken: 5

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 689m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With storm Ciara on her way, and warnings galore, I thought I'd take myself on a fairly low-level wander this weekend, and when a friend revealed she was off to Allendale for the day, it didn't take me long to ask for a lift :lol: Time to tackle the first section of the intriguingly named 'Isaac's Tea Trail'. I'd seen the path and indeed the name on my OS maps whenever I'd been up this way to bag Hewitts, but had never bothered to find out what it was all about. Turns out the tea trail is a well-trodden 36-mile circular walk, following in the footsteps of 19th-century miner, turned itinerant tea-seller and local philanthropist, Isaac Holden.

From Allendale Town it was off along the path running beside the River East Allen, and though the wind was already whipping-up, the weather was pleasant, sunny, and quite warm. The path winds its way up and down gentle slopes and between farms (presumably Isaac's customers) before eventually rising onto the wild and windswept Allendale Common.

ImageIsaac’s Tea Trail - Section One by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

As part of my project to tick-off every hill on my 'local' maps, I left the path and traipsed over the moor to reach the Subdodd that is Knockshield Moor, before returning pretty much the same way to rejoin the tea trail. A more pleasant (?) route would have been to continue across the moor to Blackway Head and Scum Hill ( :lol: ) but I wanted to make sure I'd not missed any of the Tea Trail route (pedant) so I rejoined near Nan Davison's Cleugh, and continued on my way. The weather became a lot more interesting, and for the rest of the walk I found myself leaning into the wind, all layers on. The trail passes under The Dodd, and I recalled a similar time last year when I was up here to bag a few Hewitts - the conditions (and boggy ground) were considerably worse back then, so I had little to complain about today.

Once past the fence-line that runs up to The Dodd, the Tea Trail descends roughly into Nenthead, the end of this first stage. Next time we're looking at poor weather and a free afternoon, I'll pop back over here and take-up the path again, from Nenthead to Alston. When I look at my maps of this part of the North Pennines, it's satisfying to see a good number of the Hewitts climbed, most of the little hills ticked-off, and perhaps best of all, many of them joined by lots of lower-level walks. There's nothing better than feeling like I've 'got to know' an upland area fairly intimately, and it was nice to toast the day with a cup of tea in Nenthead :lol:
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: Isaac's Tea Trail - Section One

Postby poppiesrara » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:47 pm

Just been writing about Isaac's Tea Trail, Christo! - two Walkhighlands mentions in one day... Some fascinating skies in those photos, and I hope you like the next section as much as I did.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Christo1979 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:30 pm

What are the chances?! I hope so, too. These stormy weekends are getting in the way a little, but let’s hope I get back and finish it soon. Have you done the whole route?
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Postby poppiesrara » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi Christo,

No, nothing like it! The only bit I've walked is your planned next part (the few miles from Alston to Nenthead) and even that only on the way elsewhere, but it's a good route. Pretty close to the river in parts though, I'd think some of it's probably impassable at the moment.

Best wishes
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland