walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sour Howes and Sallows

Sour Howes and Sallows

Postby Christo1979 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:57 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Sallows, Sour Howes

Date walked: 01/03/2020

Time taken: 5

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 814m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The MWIS forecasts had made for depressing reading in recent weeks, and I decided I couldn’t cope with yet another weekend without any walking, so packed as if for Everest and headed off to The Lakes with no real plan. Arriving at Windermere about 12 noon, I decided on the two lesser-known Wainwrights that are Sour Howes and Sallows. A pleasant stroll took me through the woodland and under Orrest Head, after which I didn’t see another soul for almost all of the walk. A muddy slog over farm fields eventually brought me to Longmire Road, and a gentle ascent to Applethwaite Common. From here an obvious track rounded the slopes and brought me to a stile in the fence just under the summit of Sour Howes. Lovely views, strong wind keeping the clouds away, and the next summit right ahead of me.

ImageWalking In The Far Eastern Fells by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

It was a wet path that led across and up to Sallows, and the wind was biting. Pockets of snow occasionally gave a delightful crunch underfoot, and ahead I could see several of the grander, snow-capped fells I hoped to explore tomorrow. From Sallows I cut down towards the Garburn Pass, a depression in a wire fence telling me I wasn’t the first person to misjudge access to the track itself.

Trespass life.

Now it was just a case of the long walk to Ambleside, where a couple of pints at The Golden Rule and a night in the Youth Hostel awaited. From Troutbeck, I took the hillside track of Robin Lane, eventually coming to Skelghyll Wood, and pausing at Jenkin Crag to enjoy the views of Windermere.

The point where the footpath terminates just above the YHA was, frustratingly, blocked off and the owners had put up signs saying it is private, leaving me at a dead end. I had to climb a little to rejoin the track, and in the end opted for a mild trespass of revenge, climbing a stone wall and emerging a little way past the marked published footpath.

Trespass life.

Otherwise, a lovely afternoon in weather that was much better than expected, and two more fells in the bag.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: Sour Howes and Sallows

Postby trailmasher » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Another good walk and report Christo and despite the bit of a plod of a climb two decent hills 8) The walk back to Ambleside along Robin Lane is also well worth a go with some good open views to the south and west so all in all looks like you had a good couple of days :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland